Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall 2017 Banter Thread

WeatherFeen2000

25 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

You win. You're going to get all the snow way before us and lots of it. Any given town in the Dakota states have a way more extreme and colder winter pattern than ours. Have fun in 3 feet of snow and low of -14.

Actually plenty of areas of the Dakotas average less snow than parts of the NYC metro. Exceptions being the higher elevations in the western parts of the state like the Badlands, the Black Hills, Theodore Roosevelt Natl Park.

4 hours ago, Dakota said:

That is extremely magnanimous of you "WeatherFeen"!

To show My appreciation for your acquiescence and *also* allow you to share in the Dakota Experience; you are cordially invited to come up to the house so you can shovel My driveway...

You will have to supply your own air fare and cab fare up to the house; but to show what a nice woman I am; I will supply the shovels as well as a free bowl of soup so you will have plenty of energy for work.

It's an offer you can't refuse...

William?

Looks like the Black Hills area will live up to its reputation for big temperature swings this week. A welcome back to the board to our friend Dakota.

RAPID CITY      
 KRAP   GFSX MOS GUIDANCE  10/21/2017  0000 UTC                       
 FHR  24| 36  48| 60  72| 84  96|108 120|132 144|156 168|180 192      
 SAT  21| SUN 22| MON 23| TUE 24| WED 25| THU 26| FRI 27| SAT 28 CLIMO
 X/N  61| 30  73| 41  63| 31  66| 39  72| 36  48| 24  52| 30  58 31 56

KRAP_2017102100_ecmwf_min_max_10.thumb.png.fc9fd94e7fd641e4b3464511733d1530.png

52 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Thinking back on all those debates I had with BW over GW; and factoring in the crazy hot anomalies the NY area has seen since Spring 2015 (as I keep abreast of the NYC weather even out here)...the gentleman may very well have had a point well taken.

That March snow was a big disappointment for LI...but good N&W of the city...that must have been a heartbreaker cause the maps looked good the day before. 

I didn't fully re-locate until August; but I was back and forth at least 3 times prior; as I discovered the selling of a house is a difficult endeavor.

Thank you for kindly receiving Me.

It's great to hear from you again. I hope you enjoy your new home in such a gorgeous natural open space part of the country. No shortage of big temperature and weather swings out there. Should be an interesting learning experience getting acclimated to the different type of climate zone out there.

http://www.weather.gov/unr/bhco

Someday, I will get out to the Black Hills. My great-great grandmother is buried out near Lead, South Dakota..she died giving birth to one of my great grand fathers siblings around 1900. They had been living in the area since the 1890s.

After her death, my great-great grandfather moved back east to Elizabeth, NJ. His descendants remain in North Jersey. 

I came across an old photo of them in a conestoga like wagon, simply incredible to me. 

33 minutes ago, Dakota said:

By George, I think I've got it....after about 200 misfires.  Looking south from the little deck outside the kitchen.  As you see, I'm down near civilization...while My friend up in Deadwood is seriously out in the wilderness. 

dsc00001.jpg

How did you decide to move to that part of the country...friends,family? Best of luck and have fun. You should install a weather station there and put it online!

2 hours ago, Dakota said:

I think I am the only person in the United States who does not know how to upload a photograph to the internet...

When I bought My ruler at the WallMart yesterday; I bought a camera as well.  I asked the guy what kind of film it uses; and he told Me that film is now obsolete and it all done differently nowadays.  When I was younger, I remember taking Kodak pictures and bringing them to a kiosk to get developed; and you had to pay x number of dollars.  I also had a Polaroid, and an instant picture would come out; but that still involved inserting film. 

I do not believe My telephone takes photographs (it might or might not); as it is an old time flip phone circa 2003. 

So the guy sold Me this "Sony Digital" for about $50; and I read the instructions (which were pretty clear and easy to understand) and after the battery got charged I took a picture from the deck outside of the kitchen looking across a little canyon.

Then I put the little "memory chip" in the computer (that had been in the camera)...and the picture did end up "on the computer" in the saved area.  But when I tried to put it on the message board, it said "too large a file" to upload.

Then I googled "how to reduce a photo"...and I got some options like "JPEG reduce"...or something...and I'm still working on it...

To paraphrase Patton, "God, I hate the (21st) Century"

Except for Wikipedia &  Google & YouTube...which are *really* neat...

My Father used to tell Me that I am absolutely excellent in many arcane and esoteric areas that will earn Me no money; while I am somewhat deficient in the ordinary skills needed for life...and He is proven right yet again.

I'm older,my love, therefore your the second. I am still mourning web tv.

Ran the CFS  for its full 2040 hours and never saw it show a cold wave or a thrust south to us which held.  Winter here is going to be a hit/run operation. 

No chance at 32 till 11/13-20 period which would be normal, but I am a liar.  Even when a low of 32 is normal, it is a struggle here.  Coldest was Jan. 5, run ends Jan. 14.

Let's forget the specifics---just pointing out that there was no long lasting invasion of BN air.  5400THK rarely went south of us.

• Like 1

Read Larry Cosgrove's weekly newsletter tonight, in the final paragraph his the long range section he doesn't seem to be to excited about a big winter along the Eastern Seaboard but did say it it would be less "non-wintry" then last year. Something tells me when he releases his winter outlook it may be rather disappointing for our area and if I recall correctly his call for last winter was pretty good. But we will see.

36 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Read Larry Cosgrove's weekly newsletter tonight, in the final paragraph his the long range section he doesn't seem to be to excited about a big winter along the Eastern Seaboard but did say it it would be less "non-wintry" then last year. Something tells me when he releases his winter outlook it may be rather disappointing for our area and if I recall correctly his call for last winter was pretty good. But we will see.

Link?

5 hours ago, Dakota said:

Here is the last one; gazing southwestward and away from the built-up areas.  I think we have a good chance for a snow event here before Halloween; the Canadian and the GFS hint at it after Day 7.  I am fairly certain that the deciduous tree line is not too far above Me; and only conifers can exist above it.  It may be at the 4000' threshold on topographic charts; or thereabouts.

dsc00002_ElbSZa.jpg

Oh for a breath of that fresh scented air.

GFS 18z shows a weak sauce of a low for next week, but the Canadian has a strong low but all rain meanwhile GFS had some snow in higher terrain in PA and Catskills but it looks more like white rain. If anything if this low ends up being a bit colder and stronger in the future runs maybe some places like Monticello, NY and even possibly Sparta, NJ for some accumulating snow especially if it falls at nighttime. 

IMG_2229.PNG

IMG_2230.PNG

IMG_2231.PNG

25 minutes ago, Dakota said:

As I was going through the numbers and preparing the chart; the one thing that caught My eye was the 2014-15 snow total at the Logan Airport in Boston: 110.6 inches...obviously an all time record for that station.  The Boston Airport had a long time mean of around 42 inches through 1991-92 winter; the last 25 years have bumped the mean up to near 50" annually.

To accumulate that much snow at sea level out at the Boston Harbor is remarkable; it would be a pretty astonishing winter even if it happened up the coast at Portland, Maine.

That was the year where the Boston area had that massive glacier in an empty lot (they trucked snow there from the metro because it was building up too much) that lasted into July.  I posted about it awhile back.  It was an incredible season for snow and cold.

• Rjay unpinned this topic