Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

1 minute ago, andyhb said:

Global models do not have the resolution to capture processes on this kind of scale, thus they will underestimate their effects essentially all of the time.

I am well aware. I was simply stating the fact that literally verbatim if the core is 30 or so miles off the coast it SHOULD be uninterrupted. The individual who mentioned wishcasting obviously misspoke and is downplaying the overall threat. Back to weather here. 

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, andyhb said:

That intensity is not going to verify. Size may be a different story.

880s might not (probably wont) verify, but when you get to 920 or so, what difference does it make???? Both major models show an intense, large hurricane impacting south Florida. 

4 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

880s might not (probably wont) verify, but when you get to 920 or so, what difference does it make???? Both major models show an intense, large hurricane impacting south Florida. 

It's kind of a silly argument, but it makes a huge difference if we are talking about 140mph vs. 165mph or god forbid 190mph.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/tropics/images/saff_wheel.pdf

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding, I am just trying to gain some clarity in order to increase my knowledge of how these systems work -- even after years 12 years of intently following along, I still get lost sometimes.

Are the models all just disagreeing on the strength and location of the trough that turns it polewards? 

Thank you in advance for your replies. 

1 minute ago, WishingForWarmWeather said:

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding, I am just trying to gain some clarity in order to increase my knowledge of how these systems work -- even after years 12 years of intently following along, I still get lost sometimes.

Are the models all just disagreeing on the strength and location of the trough that turns it polewards? 

Thank you in advance for your replies. 

Most of the reliable global models today are agreeing that a turn north will happen, but disagree on where that happens at exactly, as well as where a final landfall will be. It's important to note that there will likely be impacts to Florida, regardless of how close the system gets. 

Just now, rockchalk83 said:

Most of the reliable global models today are agreeing that a turn north will happen, but disagree on where that happens at exactly, as well as where a final landfall will be. It's important to note that there will likely be impacts to Florida, regardless of how close the system gets. 

Thank you for this. But, are they disagreeing because they are all analyzing the trough/ridges differently? 

Just now, WishingForWarmWeather said:

Thank you for this. But, are they disagreeing because they are all analyzing the trough/ridges differently? 

Yes. The system(s) in question still have to be sampled properly, which is the reason for the extra balloon launches at NWS offices in the midwest. This data will be put into the 00z models, which should begin to help minimize the spread. 

1 minute ago, rockchalk83 said:

Yes. The system(s) in question still have to be sampled properly, which is the reason for the extra balloon launches at NWS offices in the midwest. This data will be put into the 00z models, which should begin to help minimize the spread. 

Thank you. That is what I figured and wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding. 

9 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Right, Andrew was 922 at it's peak

Andrew also hit in a different ERA for south Florida.  The population in places like Homestead Florida City and Leisure City was minuscule to now.  Also development of high rises and more or less only started along the coast from Palm Beach to Miami in 1988-1990.  A slightly larger eye wall today and a track 10-20 miles north I couldn't imagine the damage 

The simulated mid level flow out of the south by both the ECMWF and GFS isn't exactly strong when Irma begins the northerly turn and northward motion. Keep in mind this is still modeled 120+ hours out and may change drastically. But there are a few concerns if similar solutions play out. Interaction with the coastline would not be a fast event. The core will be over the same areas for 6 hours or more. I have a hard time imagining Irma would remain intense if it rode the coastline, but it would be devestating to a lot of populated areas just the same. If it remained just off the coast, looking at the modeled upper environment, divergence should remain excellent. Shear does begin to be a factor near Georgia. But looking at the 250 map, it's still marginal. Irma may be so large by that point the greater threat would be surge than wind. However, it could still make a second landfall near major hurricane intensity. Also, any shift east would just decimate the Bahamas. Even considering they are used to strong hurricanes. This could be among their worst. Anyway, just continued observations which could all still be fantasy with another big model shift.

5 minutes ago, forecasterjack said:

That is a great site. Are they thinking of adding ECMWF 500 mb height anomalies to the line up?

Just now, bluewave said:

That is a great site. Are they thinking of adding ECMWF 500 mb height anomalies to the line up?

Thanks! So far we don't have anomalies, but we do have 500mb data such as wind speed, height, and vorticity: https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/724-w-263-n/geopotential-height-500hpa/20170907-1200z.html use menus to the left of the image to toggle parameters. Will add anomalies to the list of things to add in the future though, thanks for the suggestion!

4 minutes ago, forecasterjack said:

Thanks! So far we don't have anomalies, but we do have 500mb data such as wind speed, height, and vorticity: https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/724-w-263-n/geopotential-height-500hpa/20170907-1200z.html use menus to the left of the image to toggle parameters. Will add anomalies to the list of things to add in the future though, thanks for the suggestion!

Keep up the good work. It's great to see a new site offering detailed ECMWF model data.

14 minutes ago, forecasterjack said:

You can really see Irma interacting with the ULL trough as it enters the right entrance region of the jet streak. It makes for a great outflow channel. However, it's a double edged sword because wind shear sometimes encroaches too close to the core before it begins it's transition to extratropical.

By the way, and assuming you are the operator, I really like the products available and the fact that it's using the HD model outputs. One suggestion...can you add the forecast hour to the plots? That would really help!

Just now, bdgwx said:

You can really see Irma interacting with the ULL trough as it enters the right entrance region of the jet streak. It makes for a great outflow channel. However, it's a double edged sword because wind shear sometimes encroaches too close to the core.

By the way, and assuming you are the operator, I really like the products available and the fact that it's using the HD model outputs. One suggestion...can you add forecast hour to the plots? That would really help!

Thanks! I don't actually run the site myself, that's up to our IT folks, but I'll pass along the suggestion to them. Glad you're finding it useful!

Archived