• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Raifu
    Newest Member
    Raifu

Major Hurricane Irma

And it's going to take the ride right up I-95 this run, look how far inland the strong winds make it. As a reminder these are 10m winds, not 850mb.

59b01b764ac74.png

• Like 1

Picking up forward speed now, looks destined for Savannah. 

59b01be649c77.png

Look how that ridge builds over the Western Atlantic and shoves this West.

59b01c173daed.png

That run is close to worst case -- SE coast of FL gets the eyewall, but the storm doesn't lose any punch so when it strike further north it's still a beast.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TriPol said:

Just crawling up Florida's east coast. This is a terrible, terrible run for anyone in the Gold Coast.

Model convergence time as the GFS went right to the 0z Euro and EPS mean.

0_es3.png.7b51ef8e43f3166e7ae7923a8bfb2186.png

• Like 1

Even Orlando would likely experience Hurricane force wind gusts if this verified. The track also keeps the core offshore enough that Irma should be able to sustain itself longer.

59b01ccfc67c1.png

• Like 1

The upper level jet streak tugging on Irma at hour 96 is more potent on this run. The entry is about 80-90 kts at 200mb on the 12Z cycle instead of 70-80 kts on the 6Z cycle. The low over Missouri is further north and closes off faster.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sportybx said:

Pretty big shift west from the last run . 

The shift was actually quite small (about 0.5° longitude) and well within the envelope of uncertainty on a run-to-run basis. Bottom line: Florida to South Carolina remain at the highest risk of U.S. landfall.

365f1a7c-db5a-4336-9807-9564d3a54e9a.gif

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, beanskip said:

And through 24 -- NHC guys will be cussing up a storm if the 12z runs go west. I know I would be.

Why? That run was basically exactly what their forecast showed.

• Like 1

By the time the ridge breaks down it's too late. Second LF near the GA/SC border as a powerful hurricane.

I am assuming that LF occurs initially somewhere in SE FL, but it's very hard to tell.

59b01d4117058.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

By the time the ridge breaks down it's too late. Second LF near the GA/SC border as a powerful hurricane.

I am assuming that LF occurs initially somewhere in SE FL, but it's very hard to tell.

59b01d4117058.png

I don't think it ever landfalls there, it just skirts the east coast of Florida.

2 minutes ago, Sportybx said:

Last run had it brushing the south east coast . This run had it coming up north from southern florida . So in my eyes if something is going to make a direct hit and not brush off of something m thats a good size shift west . 

Yea, I agree with you. In the context of the effects on the MIA/FLL area, it was a sizeable shift west in that it negated any thoughts of an "east trend." I was hoping to see another shift east, but it was not to be. 

1 minute ago, Sportybx said:

Last run had it brushing the south east coast . This run had it coming up north from southern florida . So in my eyes if something is going to make a direct hit and not brush off of something m thats a good size shift west . 

Fair enough. It will be interesting to see the ensembles and then the Euro.

1 minute ago, Sportybx said:

still never hits Florida..and like Don said maybe .3/.4 degree shift

Live in an independent/assisted senior facility well inland in Stuart FL. If Irma is forecast to hit here as a Cat Five 150 people will have to evacuate by bus to Tarpon Springs. Roads will be gridlocked and I'm afraid the risks for 150 seniors being stuck on a bus are far greater than staying in this very sturdily-built 3-story building. (See Rita/Houston). So it's not just the forecast of where Irma's going but how intense it will be when/if it gets here that's critically important to us. This board is a Godsend in that regard; keep up the great work. [Just to share one of many such stories playing out in SFL; now back to lurking]

• Like 5

Just now, donsutherland1 said:

Fair enough. It will be interesting to see the ensembles and then the Euro.

Yeah, the 6z GEFS had quite the spread only 48 hour out.

2 minutes ago, friedmators said:

still never hits Florida..and like Don said maybe .3/.4 degree shift

It looks like its about 50 miles further west. Which is the difference between hurricane and non-hurricane conditions for SE FL. 

Just now, psv88 said:

It looks like its about 50 miles further west. Which is the difference between hurricane and non-hurricane conditions for SE FL. 

Oh i dont disagree with that.  Just like my two phantom 24-36" blizzard warnings here in CNJ the past 3 years...few miles can make a big difference

2 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Much greater impact for the coast however

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_fh108_trend.gif

Absolutelt. This would be catastrophic for the entire southeasr coast of Florida (very expensive and vulnerable real estate, of course).