Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, OUGrad05 said:

Hmm, very interesting, I suspect that will change.  Looks like a touch of dry air on the west has impacted the storm a bit on the western fringes but the core is holding out strong.  Those wind speeds will ramp quickly I suspect.

that station stopped reporting a while ago. Looks to have gone offline.

The 167 was 3mb up. It looked like the surface due to how Tropical Tidbits is coded. If there is no surface wind report, the surface pressure does not show up.

3 mb is very close to 10 meters (isn't maximum sustained winds supposed to be a 10m, 10 second sustained wind measurement?

Question is, you drop two sondes, wouldn't you take the higher one because you're trying to sample the maximum 10 second sustained wind?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, mempho said:

3 mb is very close to 10 meters (isn't maximum sustained winds supposed to be a 10m, 10 second sustained wind measurement?

Question is, you drop two sondes, wouldn't you take the higher one because you're trying to sample the maximum 10 second sustained wind?

how high are the ocean waves at that point?  probably more than 10 meters.  maybe it splashed the top of one.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

That graph is in knots, so 160 knots is 185 MPH.

I know.  They never said it was going to get this strong during the discussions I read.  There's little reason to believe it will lose much intensity until if/when it turns north.  There's too much energy and not much shear. 

4 minutes ago, mempho said:

1mb is approximately 8m, so that is about 24m above the surface. Loosing 6 knots in the 14m down to 10m (friction) wouldn't be too surprising. 

how high are the ocean waves at that point?  probably more than 10 meters.  maybe it splashed the top of one.

Yep, a wave would likely be 50 feet. Just think- a single wave could have cost Irma a tie for the Atlantic record.

NHC says "Euro all the way"

Latest center fixes from satellite imagery and the aircraft
indicate that Irma is now moving west-northwestward, or 285/13 kt.
A strong ridge extending southwestward from the central Atlantic is
expected to steer Irma west-northwestward during the next couple of
days.  A large mid-latitude trough over the eastern United States is
forecast to lift northeastward, allowing the ridge to build westward
and keep Irma on a westward to west-northwestward heading through
Friday.  In 4 to 5 days, a small trough diving southward over
the east-central U.S. is expected to weaken the western portion of
the ridge, causing Irma to turn poleward.  Some of the dynamical
models have shifted northward a bit from the previous cycle, with
the normally reliable GFS looking like a northeast outlier.  The
official track forecast leans toward the ECMWF solution.  Users are
reminded to not focus on the exact forecast track, especially at the
longer ranges, since the average NHC track errors are about 175 and
225 statute miles at days 4 and 5, respectively

1mb is approximately 8m, so that is about 24m above the surface. Loosing 6 knots in the 14m down to 10m (friction) wouldn't be too surprising. 

Could be- or a wave 16m high swamped the sonde before it could measure the surface. Guess we'll never know.

I'm actually sort of surprised this hasn't been discussed before. Also, wouldn't a sonde that did make it to 10m potentially be in a relative shelter by being between in the trough between waves?

00z NAM is really carving out a nice (albeit weak) upper low over the southern Miss Valley at hour 84. Checkout the 500mb vorticity to really see it clearly. If that trend continues, this definitely has room to trend north. The 500mb low over the New England is unseasonable for its location, and in the winter time would act to carve out a trough behind it and favor a cutoff low over the southeast. If you apply some winter time logic to this tropical pattern, you get a SECS.

2 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

00z NAM is really carving out a nice upper low over the southern Miss Valley at hour 84. Checkout the 500mb vorticity to really see it clearly. If that trend continues, this definitely has room to trend north. The 500mb low over the New England is unseasonable for it's location, and in the winter time would act to carve out a trough behind it and favor a cutoff low over the southeast. If you apply some winter time logic to this tropical pattern, you get a SECS.

NAM seems to have the storm scrape the east FL coast although I wonder if that is an inverted trough at 1 o'clock to the NNE of

the storm.  If so, wouldn't it track NNE?

USA_PRMSL_msl_084.gif

16 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

NHC says "Euro all the way"

Latest center fixes from satellite imagery and the aircraft
indicate that Irma is now moving west-northwestward, or 285/13 kt.
A strong ridge extending southwestward from the central Atlantic is
expected to steer Irma west-northwestward during the next couple of
days.  A large mid-latitude trough over the eastern United States is
forecast to lift northeastward, allowing the ridge to build westward
and keep Irma on a westward to west-northwestward heading through
Friday.  In 4 to 5 days, a small trough diving southward over
the east-central U.S. is expected to weaken the western portion of
the ridge, causing Irma to turn poleward.  Some of the dynamical
models have shifted northward a bit from the previous cycle, with
the normally reliable GFS looking like a northeast outlier.  The
official track forecast leans toward the ECMWF solution.  Users are
reminded to not focus on the exact forecast track, especially at the
longer ranges, since the average NHC track errors are about 175 and
225 statute miles at days 4 and 5, respectively

I don't take it that way.  They are skeptical of the 18z GFS but lean toward the ECMWF does not necessarily mean go 100% all the way.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

I don't take it that way.  They are skeptical of the 18z GFS but lean toward the ECMWF does not necessarily mean go 100% all the way.

Exactly. They end with a reminder of the average track errors.  They really don't have much more of an idea than we do.

The NHC works with D5 forecasts and you can't really blame them for leaning towards the Euro. Afterall, in terms of Irma track forecast skill it has been annihilating everything...all other models, consensus of models, humans, etc. You name it and it's probably beating it...easily.

Archived