Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yeah so just a hair under 600' I mean we are talking not too much above skyscraper levels here.

Below  - from wikipedia:

The U.S. city of MiamiFlorida has the country's third-tallest skyline with over 300 high-rises, 70 of which stand taller than 400 feet (120 m), mainly according to Emporis,[1] SkyscraperPage, and The Skyscraper Center, which is the online database of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat. The tallest building in the city is the 84-story Panorama Tower, which rises 868 feet (265 m) in Miami's Brickell district and on March 24, 2017 surpassed all other buildings in height. It is to be completed by the end of 2017.

Here's an interesting record, tweeted by NOAASatellitesPA. Apparently there has never been a 160 kt hurricane outside of the Caribbean and Gulf sections of the Atlantic.

--

NOAA Satellites PA‏ @NOAASatellitePA 8 hours ago

UPDATE: NOAA's #GOES16 shows #HurricaneIrma, the strongest hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic -- outside the Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico.

1 minute ago, bdgwx said:

The Guadeloupe radar appears to show two concentric return maxima. Oddly the HMON had been simulating that structure for awhile now. But, the microwave imagery doesn't really suggest that an ERC is taking place or is imminent. 

I would trust microwave over radar for a storm of this size and magnitude.

18 minutes ago, No snow for you said:

Move this if needed but Anguilla has cut all power to the island and cell service is already out. Getting some updates via sat phone. They are very scared now from what I was told 

On St. John, they are taking cell towers down. In fact, I believe that was supposed to happen around 5pm.  

2 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Is it just me or does it look like that things still heading just about due west from the beginning of the loop to the end? 

The radar I am looking at (Caribbean composite) shows about 0.1 deg latitude gain from beginning to end of loop.  That should put the center very close to Barbuda.

Archived