Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

2 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

This track is probably a decent scenario for PBI north along the coast.  By no means it is good but look at the alternatives we are facing. 

"Not catastrophic" still means probably 90-100mph gusts there, surge on the beaches and up to 10" rain. That will cause power to go out and tree damage, but not much major structural damage. Miami has it worse since it's further south and closer to the forecast track. This could also all be moot since the track could wobble back east to the catastrophic path just west of MIA to PBI. Still time for that to happen. 

And plenty of people live on the west FL coast too. So one area's relative benefit is to many's detriment. 

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Crazy4Wx said:

Completely disagree. You do not want SE FL in the RFQ. Right now that is where it sits.

In terms of surge, it may not make much difference, but in terms on wind damage, it could be very significant. Would you rather be in the eyewall of a strong Cat 4 or not?? 

12 minutes ago, lwg8tr0514 said:

No doubt, to say Palm Beach county is maybe out of the woods(yes someone said that here) yet based on a computer model is ludicrous.  Models will ingest more data today and tomorrow and in 24hrs we maybe looking at a swing of 50 miles back east or a continued jog west. This forum is funny, you have one post..She looks to be weakening, next post says she looks to be strengthening.  It's comical at times, people biases, or a bit of wishcasting wanting the storm stronger or coming their direction for some drama.  Winter around here is really hilarious.

In reality, all the NHC can do is put out a best guess. I was down in FL last year for Matthew. You don't really know the final track until it happens. If trends continue towards the west, it may turn out to bode well for eastern Palm Beach county ... IT MAY ... but to draw that conclusion now based on a run or two of the GFS is not pragmatic. There is a reason why the NHC uses the cone as opposed a guess as to the specific track.

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

"Not catastrophic" still means probably 90-100mph gusts there, surge on the beaches and up to 10" rain. That will cause power to go out and tree damage, but not much major structural damage. Miami has it worse since it's further south and closer to the forecast track. This could also all be moot since the track could wobble back east to the catastrophic path just west of MIA to PBI. Still time for that to happen. 

And plenty of people live on the west FL coast too. So one area's relative benefit is to many's detriment. 

This is going to come down to angle of approach .  

Im done model watching.  Recon will provide the best idea from here until landfall 

My wife and I are getting concerned for her father who lives on a canal in Port Charlotte. While it's clear they are at risk for ~ Cat 2 winds, it would seem that unless this thing swung WAY around the keys and then made a clear track up the west coast, they should not be at risk for storm surge, correct? (And that would generally be true for other areas up the West Coast.

2 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Fantastic shot. Now that is not something you see everyday. Incredible display of nature flexing it's muscles.

Indeed.  For the shot in all of it's glory, in a 60 image loop made of VIRRS overnight shots and GOES-16 daytime shots from the excellent CIRA RAMMB Slider product, click here.  Beware, it's a massive bandwidth suck...........

http://rammb-slider.cira.colostate.edu/?sat=goes-16&sec=full_disk&x=12897.75&y=6499.625&z=3&im=60&ts=1&st=0&et=0&speed=130&motion=loop&map=1&lat=0&p[0]=16&opacity[0]=1&hidden[0]=0&pause=20170908133036&slider=-1&hide_controls=0&mouse_draw=0&s=rammb-slider

4 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

Im done model watching.  Recon will provide the best idea from here until landfall 

I have family living near Lake Worth, and they've been asking my opinion on the effects. I'm becoming a little more optimistic it's not devastating there but still a very rough 18 hours or so. It all really comes down to when the eye takes that north turn...

3 minutes ago, hooralph said:

My wife and I are getting concerned for her father who lives on a canal in Port Charlotte. While it's clear they are at risk for ~ Cat 2 winds, it would seem that unless this thing swung WAY around the keys and then made a clear track up the west coast, they should not be at risk for storm surge, correct? (And that would generally be true for other areas up the West Coast.

Latest storm surge warning for that area has 3-6' storm surge in surge prone areas. 

2 minutes ago, hooralph said:

Yeah, as long as the storm is centered S/E of them it's minor or no surge.  What you don't want is it coming in from the Gulf through or North of Charlotte Harbor.  Based on the NHC cone, that scenario is possible, so he should be preparing for that contingency.

4 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

I have family living near Lake Worth, and they've been asking my opinion on the effects. I'm becoming a little more optimistic it's not devastating there but still a very rough 18 hours or so. It all really comes down to when the eye takes that north turn...

Archived