Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Wild Weather Monger said:

No doubt.  I only mentioned it because the change was quite large, and is in the short term period.

It looked like the Atlantic ridge weakened its grip somewhat compared to the 18z run, but that is still a heck of a large move in one run.  Hey, it's the NAM.  Enough said.

7 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:
Pretty sure this model has been doing pretty well so far with Irma, but I dont think it has public access, so don't quote me. I think I remember some NHC disco crediting it.

I used this model a decent amount during severe season (obviously different than the tropics, but still) and it performed fairly well most times. Long story short, it's a model with a hexagonal grid where the grid spacing itself can be adjusted for global or regional domains, helping to capture both large scale and small scale atmospheric processes.

5 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

It looked like the Atlantic ridge weakened its grip somewhat compared to the 18z run, but that is still a heck of a large move in one run.  Hey, it's the NAM.  Enough said.

Here is the trend GIF for the synoptic setup. While it’s not good for forecasting TC track, it IS good at the 500mb longwave pattern inside 48 hours and is picking up on something for such a big change.  Notice the trough in the NE is much slower and less progressive. 

ki86HHx.gif

3 hours ago, forecasterjack said:

Much appreciated, I'm glad you guys are enjoying the site! We're a startup with a relatively small base, so if you guys can help spread the word about some of the stuff we do that no one else does (like the full res ECMWF for free :)), please do! 

As always, let me know if you have any questions about the site!

I'm on it. Thanks so much for what you're doing!

6 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Pretty sure this model has been doing pretty well so far with Irma, but I dont think it has public access, so don't quote me. I think I remember some NHC disco crediting it.

I see the IBM logo. Is that a Watson model using machine learning? If so, this is pretty interesting as it's the future of forecast modeling.

3 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

Here is the trend GIF for the synoptic setup. While it’s not good for forecasting TC track, it IS good at the 500mb longwave pattern inside 48 hours and is picking up on something for such a big change.  Notice the trough in the NE is much slower and less progressive. 

ki86HHx.gif

Yup... too bad is the NAM... but it actually moves it far enough east that the FL east coast only gets brushed by Irma.  Laughable, but still

8 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

but seems that NHC is using it..someone said it was quoted in a disco, The story states they would provide the information for free to NHC in situations just like this one, not sure if that is really happening.  I'm sure we have a NHC met lurking here who can confirm :)

DJKCmfHWAAIbBBO.jpg

Meanwhile in Barbuda, this looks to be a home with anchor bolting basically wiped clean from its foundation save for some straggling debris on the right (which may be from other buildings). Wonder if this is the result of an eyewall mesovortex given the comparative lack of damage to the buildings behind.

1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I wouldn't be so quick to write it off. The Nam nailed the march blizzard for the north east coast. Like really really nailed it. It's coming into range. I would at least use it for potential outcomes 

NAM actually looks to be diving the NE trough in to phase with it. It's interesting but a huge outlier, and no other model has anything close to this. 

6 minutes ago, yoda said:

Yup... too bad is the NAM... but it actually moves it far enough east that the FL east coast only gets brushed by Irma.  Laughable, but still

I think you missed my point. The reason the NAM trended so far east is it really slowed the trough down thus allowing it to capture Irma and pull her north. This is under 42 hours and the NAM is excellent at capturing things like a trough slowing down or energy phasing in. 

46 minutes ago, ALhurricane said:

It's pretty simple. Microwave data and recon show an ERC. As a result, the wind field has expanded and peak winds have come down a bit but still measured at Cat 5 in the NW eyewall. Pressure holding steady as well. Once ERC is complete, it may be off to the races again. 

Those are the facts. 

Thank you. Mostly just lurk but the bickering is really turning me off. Nice to hear a voice of reason. This happens every major storm, fighting over ERCs etc. Gets old when something this serious is approaching.

Just now, Bostonseminole said:

but seems that NHC is using it..someone said it was quoted in a disco, The story states they would provide the information for free to NHC in situations just like this one, not sure if that is really happening.  I'm sure we have a NHC met lurking here who can confirm :)

Perhaps things changed since then. The article was more than 10 years old, so a lot might have happened since then. A lot of good academic work has been sold to the private sector. Another example is the H-Wind analysis data.

1 minute ago, snowlover91 said:

I think you missed my point. The reason the NAM trended so far east is it really slowed the trough down thus allowing it to capture Irma and pull her north. This is under 42 hours and the NAM is excellent at capturing things like a trough slowing down or energy phasing in. 

So you think this is believable? Any chance of a bad initialization?  Florida is basically completely spared on this run.

5 minutes ago, andyhb said:

DJKCmfHWAAIbBBO.jpg

Meanwhile in Barbuda, this looks to be a home with anchor bolting basically wiped clean from its foundation save for some straggling debris on the right (which may be from other buildings). Wonder if this is the result of an eyewall mesovortex given the comparative lack of damage to the buildings behind.

That's solid EF3-EF4 damage right there. It cant be said how strong the anchor bolts were, but even then, completely slabbing a house is no easy task. Also taking a look at the tree damage where it may even look like some minor debarkation on some of the trees in the background. This image alone should show Floridians what this hurricane is capable of.

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

If somehow the NAM scores a huge win, FL escapes catastrophe, and we get an OBX landfall and still coming almost due N I will rip the remaining hairs out of my head! You cant script this stuff.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Seriously, it's like a bad joke. You spare the entire Southeast, and then go for the OBX or NE.

Archived