SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

guys and gals, not sure how relevant this is to the discussion, but we've had a couple of X-class and a couple of M-class solar flares over the last 36 hours (one of which was an X-9). I know this won't directly affect Irma itself. But we've been apparently been wavering between a G-2 and G-4 geomagnetic storm over the last few hours, and may do so for another 24-48 hours. this type of geomagnetic storm may affect satellites and their data, as well as some radio transmissions.

hopefully this doesn't degrade any data we will be getting on Irma (and Jose and Katia) from up top for the next few days, when we need it the most.

Just now, otown said:

Maybe I've looked at too many models the past couple days & I'm going crazy but doesn't this look like its pushing east again?

The models seem to oscillating 30-50 miles per run..they go east...they go west..then back east...and on.  Unfortunately...those shifts mean a lot due to the population densities. All in all though..pretty good model agreement on a Southern Florida hit/raking.

With negligible rain rates found in the SE inner wind maxima vs an absence of an outer wind maxima on in the NW side of the eye, I'd imagine convection of the IEW is "crescent moon" shape in the northern semicircle and is starting to get aborbed/breaking down. See the rain rates in the SFMR upper right chart below.

Appears this will be the first ERC process in days that will fully complete. The OEW looks large and menacing on that microwave pass.

I know people are probably sick to death of seeing people talk about ERCs the past few days that were or were not there, or were there and failed to complete. That does not appear to be the case now.

ff96dd0bdc7679f20c98eefe0d7066dd.jpg

9 minutes ago, Jim Marusak said:

guys and gals, not sure how relevant this is to the discussion, but we've had a couple of X-class and a couple of M-class solar flares over the last 36 hours (one of which was an X-9). I know this won't directly affect Irma itself. But we've been apparently been wavering between a G-2 and G-4 geomagnetic storm over the last few hours, and may do so for another 24-48 hours. this type of geomagnetic storm may affect satellites and their data, as well as some radio transmissions.

hopefully this doesn't degrade any data we will be getting on Irma (and Jose and Katia) from up top for the next few days, when we need it the most.

yup, my power went out for a few seconds this morning.  (which it almost never does)  kinda odd.

The effects from the big one (X-9 or X-10) won't reach earth till tomorrow . 

2 minutes ago, andyhb said:

5 1/2 times the IKE of Andrew at this point. If anyone at this point is comparing potential surge/surge impacts between the two, yeah we're on an entirely different scale here.

Katrinas size and Andrews wind speeds hitting one of the most populated areas in the United States. Absolute worst case scenario. 

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Need this to shift another 30 miles west..maybe 40 and have it just go up the gut of florida.  Probably best chance to minimize destruction.  Keeps it dead middle between Glades City/Naples and the east coast cities and weakens it enough by the time it gets to ORL maybe it's just a strong 2 

The Euro basically did that and still would be extremely destructive.

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Need this to shift another 30 miles west..maybe 40 and have it just go up the gut of florida.  Probably best chance to minimize destruction.  Keeps it dead middle between Glades City/Naples and the east coast cities and weakens it enough by the time it gets to ORL maybe it's just a strong 2 

Think the Euro did this, eye was so big it resulted in the eyewall hitting basically the entire southern half of the state. 

The 0z model runs are really not any father west other then the ones that were out in the water moved close together right over the Lake. This all makes for good talk and to be prepared but until the turn happens i really don't think anyone from my coast in Sarasota or the other coast Miami are any more safe then the other. I think it stands more of a chance to go up the east coast then the west but i would put odds at only 60/40 of it going east coast then west coast.

This makes it very hard on what to do as right now on the West coast we are looking at a wind event but if it were to come up the west coast then come up the east the difference is huge. If i was on the east coast it would be simple id leave. But in Sarasota it is hard. I have kids are there Dads house as it is his days with the kids and he is staying put. I can't up and leave my kids and go out of state. But if it changes to the west coast that is a whole new ballgame.

I really think all these models and runs are just something to latch onto to pass time away till we see with our own eyes the turn that matters for millions of people.

Archived