Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

6 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

I know someone measured 909mb in Camille (and was found to be accurate). Not sure if there's anything lower than that.

Yeah, I actually just found something stating ~900 mb in Waveland, MS.  Not sure if it's accurate.  In any case, can Irma get close?

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GOES16 satellite data is showing Irma restrengthening and rebuilding its western side this evening. Not a good sign for Florida. Irma was having trouble with dry air and shear earlier today, she seems to have kicked those right out of the way. Loop: https://weather.us/satellite/745-w-213-n/top-alert-superhd-15min.html#play

us_sat-en-087-0_2017_09_07_20_30_5849_486.png

11 minutes ago, wkd said:

I wonder if the more northerly track  is due to the slight jog north that occurred shortly after 12Z. See if the GFS follows suit.

The GFS this storm has clearly sh*t the bed, I'd throw it out, not been verifying, even the NHC has jogged the track slightly west. A "brush" with the coast is appearing unlikely right now.

1 minute ago, winterymix said:

I know people are looking at the 18Z runs but I placed the 12Z EURO and 12 GFS on the simple chart below.

Quite convincing how the range of uncertainty is collapsing. 

EUROVSGFS.jpg

EPS spread way down as well. Range of possible outcomes is shrinking I agree https://weather.us/cyclone-tracks/euro/724-w-263-n/2017090712-240-irma.html

1 minute ago, beanskip said:

Hard to argue against a westward model trend - 12z Euro, 12z GFS, 12z HWRF, 12z HMON and now -- it would appear, through 42 hours at least -- the 18z GFS, all west of prior run positions. 

It literally scrapes the north central coast of Cuba from hours 30-42. I wonder if it will induce some slight weakening, although I did specify yesterday that I could only find mountain tops around 500-700ft in that region of Cuba. Guantanamo and areas in the southeast have ranges thousands of feet (over 3k I believe). 

2 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

We saw an equally large east trend a couple days ago...  I'd like to see the models keep this solution for another couple runs. 

Not likely...the closer in time we get to a storm, the more accurate models become. There is a good article on this here. With each model run, the margin of error decreases. 

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/09/destination-florida-how-confident-we-can-be-in-hurricane-irmas-track/

5 minutes ago, lwg8tr0514 said:

The intensity forecast looks too conservative, a 3 at landfall?  No Met is calling for that, very unlikely.

The ensemble members are lower resolution and thus don't capture smaller scale features like absolute pressure minima in the eye of strong hurricane.

The GFS runs Irma right to the coast after landfall too. I've been hammering this track the last few days as it was easy to see once you eliminated the outliers. It's just a matter if the eye crosses directly over Miami or slightly East or West of it. Either way, it's a huge eyewall with major hurricane force winds in all four quadrants. Truly an unprecedented event is likely to occur!

18Z GFS absolutely the worst possible path for the Miami to Palm Beach gold coast area.  Eye 10 or 15 miles inland.  No relief going through the eye.  Just relentless damaging winds for several hours.  A track like this has never been seen.  910mb west of Miami.  Jeez,  Andrew was 920mb and that was a small area east to west south of Miami.  This would be much worse...

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The GFS runs Irma right to the coast after landfall too. I've been hammering this track the last few days as it was easy to see once you eliminated the outliers. It's just a matter if the eye crosses directly over Miami or slightly East or West of it. Either way, it's a huge eyewall with major hurricane force winds in all four quadrants. Truly an unprecedented event is likely to occur!

It never quite makes it to open waters, though, before moving into GA.

Archived