Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DaveNay said:

I saw a documentary on SyFy that says you can detonate a nuclear bomb in the eye, the storm will dissipate.

Wind doesn't stop instantaneously. You would need a yield similar to that of the Czar Bomba , 50 megatons, to "disrupt" the circulation. All the fall out would be spread through the atmosphere at a super accelerated rate. (Imagine how fast nuclear debris would travel in a CAT 5...not a smart idea)

Just now, sielicki said:

You're technically right, which is the best form of being right, but c'mon, lighten up a little. Just making a joke of it.

I understand and you are definitely right, I probably should lighten up haha. But, in my defense, I just don't want this turning into a media bashing thread when they were just quoting the mayor of a town down in FL. 

On another note that isn't banter related, at what time is it expected for Irma to start heading into the very warm waters?

5 minutes ago, larrye said:

Yes, but CNN ... in their continuing need to sensationalize without care ... is reporting it and making a big deal out of it.

Google "Miami mayor nuclear" and you will find it's not just CNN. It's just about every major news outlet. They are all just reporting what the mayor said, that's all. 

7 minutes ago, jasons said:

Surge has the potential to be much worse than Andrew. Have you read how vulnerable Turkey Creek is to a major hurricane? It's been an elephant in the room for a long time.

We know how vulnerable it is to a major hurricane- since it was already hit by a category five hurricane, right? The question is can the surge at that point be 20 feet or greater, and have they started the safe shutdown yet? Andrew peak surge was what, 17 feet? What is the max surge possible at this point?

As we await the Euro the thing that scares me the most about Irma is this.  Not the tidal surge.  Not the flooding.  It's long term power outages if the infrastructure takes a major hit.  There are literally thousands of high rises from Miami up to Palm Beach  (and beyond).  Long term power outages strands all those people, many elderly for long periods of time.  Excessive heat in closed up apartments, no way up or down in buildings.  This could be a rolling disaster of unknown and epic proportions.

The key is to keep the eyewall just offshore.  This Euro run will be huge to see if the slight west trend continues....    

My brother is a reactor operator and I asked him to text his friend at Turkey Point and they have 2 fully equipped shifts rotating every 12 hours. They will remain on site until relief gets there. They are beginning the shut down process (governor said closed, but its called shut down). For emergencies like this, at Diablo Canyon where my brother works, its a process called stranded plant.

2 minutes ago, katabatic said:

My brother is a reactor operator and I asked him to text his friend at Turkey Point and they have 2 fully equipped shifts rotating every 12 hours. They will remain on site until relief gets there. They are beginning the shut down process (governor said closed, but its called shut down). For emergencies like this, at Diablo Canyon where my brother works, its a process called stranded plant.

That's a lot of juice to take off line, they've got combined cycle generators to stand in and fill the gap I assume?  Probably some excess capacity to perhaps pull off the grid from GA as well.  

Archived