Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jfreebird said:

So does this storm get bigger because it gets weaker? or is it pulling more moisture from somewhere?

Well, the windfield does expand significantly on the models... But it also starts interacting with the trough which will greatly expand cloud coverage.

7 minutes ago, MUWX said:

There's a lot more to it than water temps. 

Oh no doubt but I just think we're in uncharted territory when it comes to these storms.  We've never seen what hurricanes can do in water this warm.  These storms are becoming freight trains going at full speed with no brakes to slow them down.

2 minutes ago, adiabatic13 said:

Irma on IR sat looking the healthiest she has all morning, cooling cloud tops, an expanding CDO, less restricted outflow to the NW and a nice warm eye

Not seeing any of the eye wall issues of earlier either.   If it completed it's strange EWC then it could be interesting to watch over the next few hours.

29 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

12z GFS is about as bleak a forecast for the SE you want to see imho. Western eyewall onshore from Mia to Palm Beach while eye remains over water then landfall as potent cane farther N near GA/SC. Really hope this track doesnt verify.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Its not a worst case...that would be for MIA to get the RFQ.

6 minutes ago, CarbondaleWX said:

Oh no doubt but I just think we're in uncharted territory when it comes to these storms.  We've never seen what hurricanes can do in water this warm.  These storms are becoming freight trains going at full speed with no brakes to slow them down.

Tropical cyclones routinely develop in water this warm.  Especially in the West Pac.  It's very well-modeled.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

map-population-density-01.png

Yeah, and if Miami gets the RFQ the rest of the extended metro area through PBI seems to as well.  The nhc and euro tracks have been on or very close to tracking right through the highest population density. 

6 of 1 half dozen of the other. Your scenario yields a weaker LF in GA/SC probably a Cat 1 or 2. The GFS scenario has western eyewall devastation from miami to palm beach without weaking Irma 'much' and LF in GA/SC as a potent Cat 4. Both are horrible scenarios quite honestly.

This is evacuation related, but also meteorological.

We're ironically going to evacuate from coastal Pinellas and drive about 40-50 miles east CLOSER to the track of the storm. I wouldn't be surprised if I see higher winds where I'm evacuating!

I bet a good number of people would head inland farther toward Orlando since there's a billion hotels there. It seems counterintuitive to drive into the storm, but that's what we're looking at here.

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

6 of 1 half dozen of the other. Your scenario yields a weaker LF in GA/SC probably a Cat 1 or 2. The GFS scenario has western eyewall devastation from miami to palm beach without weaking Irma 'much' and LF in GA/SC as a potent Cat 4. Both are horrible scenarios quite honestly.

I made a post and deleted it saying the same thing. All scenarios modeled right now really suck.

4 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Again....GFS is not the worst case scenario.

Peeiod.

So to partially answer my own question regarding a Jose and Irma fujiwhara dance, a quick search revealed that the ideal maximum distance between the two storms would be 600-900 miles.  So if this is accurate, wont these storms be close enough for interaction before Irma gets onshore in the Carolinas?

That and favorable distance interaction theory.

4 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

It's going to suck to see the devastation wherever GA/SC landfall ends up and it's going to be horribly impactful on people there, but the in scope populations and economic base are not even close.  It's a much worse scenario for MIA to have the Euro track than something close offshore.

6 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach, FL (MSA) is one of Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) in United States. . Its 2015 population of 6,012,331 ranked 8th in the United States.

Savannah Metro population 384,024

Charleston Metro The OMB defines the area as comprising Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester counties, an area with 664,607 in the 2010 census

SE FL is significantly more populated.

Archived