Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

Just now, kenavp said:

Ugh, gotta go pack my bags. And try not to forget the kids.

This will be my first ever mandatory evacuation. It -seems- a little extreme given how far east this is projected to track, but oh well. I think we'll try to leave tomorrow late...11pm-2am something like that to try to avoid the mass traffic. I highly doubt they end up evacuating zones B and C, so I don't think we'll be in anybody's hair.

If you don't start early you inevitably end up with people who "didn't have enough time".

If it misses, less cleanup when you get home... if it nails you... at least you and your loved ones have the opportunity to rebuild.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, kenavp said:

Ugh, gotta go pack my bags. And try not to forget the kids.

This will be my first ever mandatory evacuation. It -seems- a little extreme given how far east this is projected to track, but oh well. I think we'll try to leave tomorrow late...11pm-2am something like that to try to avoid the mass traffic. I highly doubt they end up evacuating zones B and C, so I don't think we'll be in anybody's hair.

It's baffling that they are calling for mandatory evac up in Pinellas, yet my family down in Cape Coral don't even have one yet. 

You cant deny that Jose continues to creep ever closer into the Irma effects once she reaches the Carolina coast.  He seems to be doing his best to catch up.  What is the general thinking on the distance between 2 storms before Fujiwhara becomes a possibility?  Could Jose slow Irma down and push her southwest before she can escape to the north?  (Thus a prolonged rain event for the Carolinas?)  And if this were to happen, wouldnt that mean Jose is a likely landfall candidate to the mid atlantic area as they rotate?  

Just now, adiabatic13 said:

evac timing is based on population density and how long it'll reasonably require to empty a demographic zone, i.e. lots of people? not many evac routes? get them out earlier

There's actually more evac routes up there then down south. 75 is it for Lee/Collier unless they cut over to the east coast and fight the 95 traffic which will be at a standstill. At least up in Pinellas they've got 75 or 4 which could take them to the turnpike. 

Hell, I dunno, there's got to be some reasoning behind it. 

4 minutes ago, adiabatic13 said:

evac timing is based on population density and how long it'll reasonably require to empty a demographic zone, i.e. lots of people? not many evac routes? get them out earlier

I'm really surprised with the amount of people I've seen evacuating Florida already without any evacuations being announced yet.  This is a very good thing.  People are being very cautious even after Matthew caused a semi-false scare last year.  This also means less people evacuating at the same time when a potential mandatory evacuation gets announced.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Once again a reminder that there is a thread for questions like "should I evacuate?" or "what should I tell my grandmother's cousin to do?"

Yes, my apologies for posting the Pinellas news here.  Did not mean to set off a string of questions, but most everyone has their eyes on this thread and was more for FYI.

This probably should go in the other thread but i don't understand the Pinellas county evacuations.  It is clear now that Irma is coming up the/ or slightly off of the East Coast of Florida.  So that means strong north winds in the Tampa area.  Not a south wind that would drive water up the bay.  I guess once Irma gets north that latitufe the winds shift to west but even so this doesn't seem like a huge surge problem for that area.

Didn't like to see the 12Z shift slightly west again.  Even 10 or 15 mile shifts make a big difference.  The eyewall is the key.  A bit like the solar eclipse.  Big difference in a 99% partial eclipse or getting under the total.  Eyewall verses just out of the eyewall make a big difference.  Got to keep it just offshore!

14 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Also, at best here you have about 10-20kt of Southerly shear, which would help to flare out the system and increase outflow as it moves North. I haven't seen a GFS or Euro run yet that dramatically increases shear near Irma.

59b16cee00124.png

Also, the shear vector is parallel to movement.  That's not going to do much, if anything, to weaken the storm, especially if its far enough offshore to access the high TCHP waters in the Gulf Stream.

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

This probably should go in the other thread but i don't understand the Pinellas county evacuations.  It is clear now that Irma is coming up the/ or slightly off of the East Coast of Florida.  So that means strong north winds in the Tampa area.  Not a south wind that would drive water up the bay.  I guess once Irma gets north that latitufe the winds shift to west but even so this doesn't seem like a huge surge problem for that area.

Didn't like to see the 12Z shift slightly west again.  Even 10 or 15 mile shifts make a big difference.  The eyewall is the key.  A bit like the solar eclipse.  Big difference in a 99% partial eclipse or getting under the total.  Eyewall verses just out of the eyewall make a big difference.  Got to keep it just offshore!

respect the cone.  ^this is center line thinking.

4 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

You cant deny that Jose continues to creep ever closer into the Irma effects once she reaches the Carolina coast.  He seems to be doing his best to catch up.  What is the general thinking on the distance between 2 storms before Fujiwhara becomes a possibility?  Could Jose slow Irma down and push her southwest before she can escape to the north?  (Thus a prolonged rain event for the Carolinas?)  And if this were to happen, wouldnt that mean Jose is a likely landfall candidate to the mid atlantic area as they rotate?  

I just asked Lanie Pope about that. She said thinks Jose will weaken. Yet, Brad Panovich says we need to keep an eye on him. 

Just now, adiabatic13 said:

There's actually more evac routes up there then down south. 75 is it for Lee/Collier unless they cut over to the east coast and fight the 95 traffic which will be at a standstill. At least up in Pinellas they've got 75 or 4 which could take them to the turnpike. 

Hell, I dunno, there's got to be some reasoning behind it. 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

GFS hits Georgia as a high end cat 4, low end cat 5? After the eyewall pretty much hits Miami as well, talk about devastation...

Adjust for GFS poleward bias exhibited thus far with Irma and Miami gets the core.  

GFS track this run brings damaging winds well inland to many populated areas too.  Augusta, Athens, Atlanta, much of SC, and the higher elevations in the southern apps.  Trees still in full foliage too.  Would be lights out for millions.

Archived