Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

1 minute ago, yoda said:

Didn't Hurricane Floyd have this problem?  Evacs were made all over the SE and Floyd stayed just offshore enough not to cause huge problems?  Or am I remembering that incorrectly?

Yeah I think that was true with Floyd and likely other canes at smaller scales.  There's always the implicit risk in putting the masses on the road, because people can die in that process, and of course the cry wolf syndrome sets in if there's no impact.  Seems like it's going to be a big test of model skill within the 72 hour window coming up.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, jojo762 said:

IMG_1622.PNG

7 minutes ago, yoda said:

Didn't Hurricane Floyd have this problem?  Evacs were made all over the SE and Floyd stayed just offshore enough not to cause huge problems?  Or am I remembering that incorrectly?

Floyd did, but it was also at least a couple hundred miles farther north and the upper level pattern isn't terribly similar. (Although if you shift Floyd's track W/SW, you'd probably see a similar curve with Irma)

32 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

The models continue to focus more and more on the 500mb cutoff over new England I mentioned last night. Definitely a trend towards a SC/NC landfall.

Favors the weak upper low/trough over the southeast. This is causing Irma to pull north towards the trough and then curve NNW at the end towards the coastline after it is left behind. It is left to move around the weak ULL disturbance.

Exactly. It’s trending slower causing more interaction with Irma thus a quicker N pull.

Here’s the past 4 GFS runs. 
DkSJppH.gif

Now here are 3 runs of the NAM showing a similar trend. 
FNEc0FW.gif

Looks like some dry air and sheer for Irma when she gets to Florida.

http://i.imgur.com/6dynUpe.gifv

The upper ridge and 250 mb pattern is modeled to follow Irma near to Florida. The transition occurs as Irma begins a more northerly motion. Shear will eventually be an issue as southerly mid level flow around the mid-to-upper trough/cutoff to Irma's west strengthens. But when does that become significant enough to induce significant weakening?

Irma will be increasing its forward speed NNW or N as well. Poleward outflow is on steriods at the 250-200 mb level. Irma may even be able to reintensify after a first potential landfall in southern Florida (if that occurs) if it moves over the Gulf Stream towards the Southeast coast. Some dry continental air may get forced into the system. But that being substantial enough before a second landfall is in question.

3 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

That could be a precursor that the Euro may hold serve or move west.

We are roughly 72-78 hours out for the south Florida coast.  So probably on the last 2-3 model cycles where I may trust the globals over the hurricane models.  Once inside 48 it's pretty much the Euro or the hurricane models so if I lived in south Florida and the Euro doesn't stay or come west tonight I'm starting to feel better but probably need to sweat another 24 hours 

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

Well then... this... isn't helpful... two camps... GFS OP would be right smack dab in the middle

gefs_cyclone_atlantic_25.png

Most of the members are east of Miami, which I think verifies.

Going to be tight, but I think Miami avoids catastrophe.

Carolinas probably deal with a strong cat 3.

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Those 6 or so eastern ones have to be out to lunch.  Hard to imagine all the other guidance would be missing that sharp of an early turn 

Its the NE trough leaning back juuust enough to overcome the wave break.  Possible.. lets see ehat the Euro says

Archived