Newest Member
    Dano62
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

there are a couple of links up top.. but so much info coming from all direction, looking fro something official from the Gov.. not easy.. don't speak french.

Sorry about that. I was about 1 page behind, trying to keep up and do bed time at the same time. I've seen the links now. Thanks for the info. 

59 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

The whole argument about "it's weakening", "its an ERC", "dry air is entering Irma", "clearly it is losing it's structure", "the eye wall on the NE side is deteriorating rapidly", "the eye just winked at me", etc are almost all moot points. Anyone who has studied or tracked tropical systems will know there are always fluctuations and there are always random imperfections in even the most perfect looking storms. They dont remain textbook/ meteo 101 hardback cover photo worthy the entire life cycle of the TC. It's not how it works. Some of you guys seriously need to step away from the maps for a couple of hours. 

This was my entire point earlier. It's banter thread stuff. I'm not helping, my complaint is off topic. But maybe that's stuff better suited for the banter thread.

T# down to 7.0 -- regardless of the argument why, something is affecting presentation. 

When's the next time we get recon data -- matter of fact, I keep asking this, so, where can I follow along on my own so I don't need to rely on asking you all? And when do next model cycles run? Sorry, I know I should have this bookmarked by now, but it's a new computer and lost all my bookmarks. 

18 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

Last few radar loops has track heading NW????

Putting the eye in line in Turks and Caicos??

Shooting way north....

It does have a little bit more of a Northerly component at the 5 PM update the NHC said 285 degrees at 14 knots. On the 8 PM advisory it showed 290 degrees at the same speed. Not sure how much if any difference that will make as far as model runs though if any.

1 minute ago, WishingForWarmWeather said:

T# down to 7.0 -- regardless of the argument why, something is affecting presentation. 

When's the next time we get recon data -- matter of fact, I keep asking this, so, where can I follow along on my own so I don't need to rely on asking you all? And when do next model cycles run? Sorry, I know I should have this bookmarked by now, but it's a new computer and lost all my bookmarks. 

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/recon/

```
Update by Dutch Military Minister... update deputy representative en Rita Rhaman on the scene.
Ships are on their way.
Infrastructure very badly affected. Situation on the ground sxm is very serious.
Port very badly damaged.
Dock Coast guard
Airport
Telecommunications
Electricity and utilities
Briefly. We have to prepare for the serious
Appearances were insufficient
No info on victims yet
This afternoon 16.00 is being watched from the air by helicopter.
[2:26 pm, 9/6/2017]: update from the crisis team where rst is part of: Sxm is completely unreachable. Dod is leading and is going to fly a helicopter tonight at 20 to determine where to land. At present the cruiseterminal / Piers is completely destroyed and the airport is unreachable because the runway is still severely damaged.
[2:26 pm, 9/6/2017]: the control tower of the French airport has fallen above the runway and is expected to take weeks before the French have their own job. Defence has indicated that it is not possible for civil aviation to be available for the time being, and an airlift will be launched between Curacao and st. Maarten as soon as defence is free
[2:26 pm, 9/6/2017] there will be additional pilots from NL to continue to fly this airlift.
[2:26 pm, 9/6/2017]: there are currently 10 shelters, of which 5 are in operation. One of the first priorities is also to extend the number of operational shelter with a view to the new hurricane Jose, which Saturday / Sunday at sxm.. #Sxmstaysafe
```

Recent dropsonde in NE quad found 163kt mean wind in lowest 150m

The northeast side of this cyclone is the most impressive expanse of Category 2+ sustained hurricane force wind I have ever observed. I thought Isabel was massive but this is extending well out over 75 miles from the eye. This has to be due to the extreme pressure gradient between the high surface pressure and 500mb ridge against Irma. I am sure there have been large cyclones with a more impressive range against a strong ridge (Haiyan comes to mind), but there wasn't recon to verify.

EDIT: I should have clarified this is at flight level, but still, it's beyond impressive.

What is the minimum time frame where it's feasible to make these "Irma is going X direction" claims? From what I can see, the system seems to have gyroscopic motion like a smaller circle is rotating inside of a larger circle. Given this, you would need to average the motion track out over a longer time. I would love more insight into this motion behavior because I saw similar with Harvey but I'm pretty naive as to the underlying mechanism of action.

Just now, jojo762 said:

Looks WNW to me. I have it heading at about 290 degrees, slightly above 15mph.

1 minute ago, Enzedel92 said:

This.....

All these bs acrononyms being thrown out and nothing more immportant than change in direction!!!

I clearly see it. Current track puts it on the north side of Turks.

Which model had that!!  NONE

WNW, don't look at just one or two frames, bobbles can be misleading.  

Archived