• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

For the love of God....there has not been and there is no indication of an ERC.  As long as the outer eyewall attaches occasionally to the IEW (transporting angular momentum inward), you will not see the IEW contract.  Concentric eyewalls can be very stable, as long as they remain far enough apart, as to not rob the IEW of surface "energy"....as a matter of fact, if the IEW remains very stout...an outer eyewall will struggle to "take over"...that's where we are at now...

I'm drafting up my thoughts/track map....I'll post in a bit.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ERC may have been disrupted due to some land interaction thanks to the close pass to PR. With that being said, it still has 3 more days over very warm water with nearly optimal atmospheric conditions to work with. All guidance shows Irma strengthening in the Southern Bahamas, so current intensity is irrelevant now that we temporarily don't have any threats to land.

1 minute ago, cmasty1978 said:

lots of people are befuddled. we just dont have much data on storms like this.  haiyan did weird ERC stuff too...

Similar to the often erratic, stubborn, and mind-boggling behavior toward what "appears" to be the end of the life-cycle of violent tornadoes... Just not a lot known about how ERCs work exactly, especially in intense hurricanes that tend to act quite stubborn to outside influences and have rather solid/steady inner-core dynamics. 

Just now, LakeEffectKing said:

For the love of God....there has been and there is no indication of an ERC.  As long as the outer eyewall attaches occasionally to the IEW (transporting angular momentum inward), you will not see the IEW contract.  Concentric eyewalls can be very stable, as long as they remain far enough apart, as to not rob the IEW of surface "energy"....as a matter of fact, if the IEW remains very stout...an outer eyewall will struggle to "take over"...that's where we are at now...

Everyone loves buzz words, they throw them around when they don't know anything. 

2 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

For the love of God....there has not been and there is no indication of an ERC.  As long as the outer eyewall attaches occasionally to the IEW (transporting angular momentum inward), you will not see the IEW contract.  Concentric eyewalls can be very stable, as long as they remain far enough apart, as to not rob the IEW of surface "energy"....as a matter of fact, if the IEW remains very stout...an outer eyewall will struggle to "take over"...that's where we are at now...

Why is half of the inner core gone on radar? TWC, Brad Panovich, and the Hurricane Hunters are saying it's a ERC. 

Just now, Morris said:

Why are they keeping it at 185 mph? Nothing recently supports it. No dropsonde or SFMR. 

My guess is with what I've seen so far they'll go with 170 at 11, give or take. Up until this last pass though the entire storm hadn't been sampled in some time. So, they didn't know.

Just now, SN_Lover said:

Why is half of the inner core gone on radar? TWC, Brad Panovich, and the Hurricane Hunters are saying it's a ERC. 

You can clearly see the OEW is "connecting" occasionally to the IEW....this ENHANCES the strength of the IEW....when the connection happens, you often will see a slight deterioration of part of the IEW.  I bet in a bit, you see one large eyewall....not necessarily an EWRC...more of an EW "enhancement" cycle...

3 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

You can clearly see the OEW is "connecting" occasionally to the IEW....this ENHANCES the strength of the IEW....when the connection happens, you often will see a slight deterioration of part of the IEW.  I bet in a bit, you see one large eyewall....not necessarily an EWRC...more of an EW "enhancement" cycle...

Yes, and this is what happened with Harvey prior to landfall IMO With Harvey, the outer eyewall assume dominance and the inner eyewall degraded slowly prior to landfall. 

3 minutes ago, nycemt123 said:

Apologies for jumping in with such a busy thread but at this point, an ERC failure would be a good thing for the US or bad?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

As just noted by another poster, an ERC is typically complete within a 24 hour period, and is usually followed by restrengthening if conditions allow.  Thus, it's currently so far away, it's highly likely there will be a minimum of at least one more ERC prior to reaching the USA. 

Although ERC's can help moderate intensity somewhat, in the aforementioned short term, it also helps expand the hurricane force wind field.  In cases such as Matthew and a potential track just offshore of the Fl Peninsula, an ERC can actually be the difference between a hit by the W eyewall and a near miss.  

Moreover, a larger hurricane could be more devastating than a somewhat smaller, yet slightly more intense one; relative to MSW.  

30 minutes ago, Z-Cast said:

Maybe JB should look at the Euro verification for Irma so far vs. Matthew. He's right about GFS being NE, but way off on Euro too far W.

PfEBMTF.png

It maybe the most accurate but even at 4 days is showing difference of about 100 mile and in this case 100 mile either way will have giant implications on exact land fall locations.

imageproxy (1).png

As just noted by another poster, an ERC is typically complete within a 24 hour period, and is usually followed by restrengthening if conditions allow.  Thus, it's currently so far away, it's highly likely there will be a minimum of at least one more ERC prior to reaching the USA. 

Although ERC's can help moderate intensity somewhat, in the aforementioned short term, it also helps expand the hurricane force wind field.  In cases such as Matthew and a potential track just offshore of the Fl Peninsula, an ERC can actually be the difference between a hit by the W eyewall and a near miss.  

Moreover, a larger hurricane could be more devastating than a somewhat smaller, yet slightly more intense one; relative to MSW.  

Understood. Thank you to you and the other person who answered (so much going on in lucky I didn't miss either!).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Archived