Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

5 minutes ago, samdman95 said:

No. Absolutely not.  What happens when two cyclones interact is known as the Fujiwhara effect. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujiwhara_effect

Thanks for the non sarcastic answer.  That's helpful.

I'm not a weather guy but I stumbled upon this site during Harvey and found a lot of helpful information.   Same with Irma.  I don't understand much of the jargon and abbreviations and I'm not going to bog down the board asking what everything means.  

Sorry if that was a dumb (and seemingly obviously so) question.   But it made me curious and this seemed like the best place to get a quick and correct answer.   

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So a category 5, running from the leewards all the way to Florida is going to build up quite a surge & wave heights if it even comes close to maintaining it's strength. Do we have a good handle of how that plays out in Miami in terms of surge + waves? Is it like a 30-40ft Tsunami if it comes in on a worst case trajectory?   

29 minutes ago, ncskywarn said:

Interesting by looking at the 200 image loop here http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=meso1-13-200-0-100 if you look at the last 30 min of imagery there is a definite hint of a more NW movement be interesting to see if this is a wobble or the beginning of a turn to the NW.

thought the same thing when I put this line as a reference 

irmascope6.gif

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

Northeast PR has some 3500 mountains.  I kind of thought that by now that perhaps they would be disrupting the flow abit.  I guess not....

I think as long as the eyewall is clear of the island it wont have that much of an effect, though we might see some temporary weakening of the eyewall once the storm passes if it sucks in some air off the downslope.

I wonder if the land interaction is actually helping to disrupt the usual pace of ERCs.

The ABS- TV (Antigua and Barbuda) are reporting ONE fatality on Barbuda. Not one thousand people dead.

However they are also reporting "90 percent of the housing stock on Barbuda is decimated"

.. implying that the large majority of the ~1600 people who were on Barbuda have been left homeless or severely damaged homes. 

Archived