Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ncskywarn said:

Interesting by looking at the 200 image loop here http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=meso1-13-200-0-100 if you look at the last 30 min of imagery there is a definite hint of a more NW movement be interesting to see if this is a wobble or the beginning of a turn to the NW.

Trochoidal movements....average the vector of motion over longer periods than an hour or two...

6 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

So just a basic question...is the weakening trend more based on what models are seeing, or simply precedents that hurricanes in the Atlantic can't maintain this strength for a week at the time?

I say this because since it hit 185 last night, every intensity forecast has had a weakening process starting immediately, but it hasn't happened yet.

Probably more the latter.  You'd be pretty crazy to forecast a cat 5 for 1 week straight. No matter, the forecast has a cat 4 approaching Florida which should be enough for people to take it very seriously.

So just a basic question...is the weakening trend more based on what models are seeing, or simply precedents that hurricanes in the Atlantic can't maintain this strength for a week at the time?

I say this because since it hit 185 last night, every intensity forecast has had a weakening process starting immediately, but it hasn't happened yet.

Climatology and forecast track. As the track goes further west, there is greater uncertainty about land interaction in the cone of uncertainty. That has to be incorporated into possible weakening, regardless of atmospheric modeling.

2 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

I have a friend who was riding out the storm right by Tutu Bay in the USVI. The facebook live feed cut out about 30 minutes before the core of the wall made its closest pass. I havent heard anything since then, winds looked to be gusting around 100 MPH right before it cut out...

I also noticed Brett Adair's been seemingly offline for about an hour (San Juan). 

Newbie here.  My first post actually.   I appreciate all of the knowledge that I've come across during Harvey and now Irma.

I was on another message board and someone said: 

"The biggest danger would be if Jose overtakes Irma and the two combine into one big hurricane. It would likely be around a Category 8. Not 10 as both storms would lose some efficiency."

Is this a potential outcome?  If so, how likely?

Thank you.

WTNT61 KNHC 062001
TCUAT1

Hurricane Irma Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL112017
400 PM AST Wed Sep 06 2017

...400 PM AST POSITION UPDATE...
...CORE OF IRMA BATTERING THE VIRGIN ISLANDS...

An unofficial observing site on Culebra recently reported sustained
winds of 88 mph (142 km/h) and a gust to 111 mph (179 km/h).

SUMMARY OF 400 PM AST...2000 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...18.7N 65.1W
ABOUT 20 MI...35 KM NNW OF ST. THOMAS
ABOUT 70 MI...110 KM ENE OF SAN JUAN PUERTO RICO
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...185 MPH...295 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 285 DEGREES AT 16 MPH...26 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...920 MB...27.17 INCHES

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

Newbie here.  My first post actually.   I appreciate all of the knowledge that I've come across during Harvey and now Irma.

"The biggest danger would be if Jose overtakes Irma and the two combine into one big hurricane. It would likely be around a Category 8. Not 10 as both storms would lose some efficiency."

Thank you.

Please don't ever go back to that message board again!

They won't merge or combine forces.  And there's no such thing as a category 8.

Welcome aboard!

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

Thank you.

Don't ever go back to that message board....

Just now, Malcolm said:

Thank you.

No. Absolutely not.  What happens when two cyclones interact is known as the Fujiwhara effect. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujiwhara_effect

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Thank you.

It is physically impossible for two Hurricanes to combine into one big hurricane, if they were close enough the Fujiwhara effect would occur, which won't happen in this case.

12Z EPS storm tracks have been added to weather.us, of course for free :) click the map to zoom in further or select tracks for different systems via the menus to the left. If you want to see tracks only out to a certain time, you can select the end time also using the menus. Enjoy! 

https://weather.us/cyclone-tracks/euro/724-w-263-n/2017090612-240-irma.html 

2 minutes ago, forecasterjack said:

12Z EPS storm tracks have been added to weather.us, of course for free :) click the map to zoom in further or select tracks for different systems via the menus to the left. If you want to see tracks only out to a certain time, you can select the end time also using the menus. Enjoy! 

https://weather.us/cyclone-tracks/euro/724-w-263-n/2017090612-240-irma.html 

Jack - link broken

9 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Thank you.

Here is some advice. Stay here, read, and avoid that other website as it's complete garbage. 

Ouch

1 minute ago, Drz1111 said:

Whatever was slightly holding Irma back this AM - minor land interaction, touch of a shear, whatever - its gone right now.  Aye mama this is as good looking as western atlantic  / subtropical storms get.

Northeast PR has some 3500 mountains.  I kind of thought that by now that perhaps they would be disrupting the flow abit.  I guess not....

Archived