Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

1 minute ago, Sportybx said:

Last run had it brushing the south east coast . This run had it coming up north from southern florida . So in my eyes if something is going to make a direct hit and not brush off of something m thats a good size shift west . 

still never hits Florida..and like Don said maybe .3/.4 degree shift

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Live in an independent/assisted senior facility well inland in Stuart FL. If Irma is forecast to hit here as a Cat Five 150 people will have to evacuate by bus to Tarpon Springs. Roads will be gridlocked and I'm afraid the risks for 150 seniors being stuck on a bus are far greater than staying in this very sturdily-built 3-story building. (See Rita/Houston). So it's not just the forecast of where Irma's going but how intense it will be when/if it gets here that's critically important to us. This board is a Godsend in that regard; keep up the great work. [Just to share one of many such stories playing out in SFL; now back to lurking]

1 minute ago, Tatamy said:

People are already starting to leave southern and coastal FL.  I just checked out the traffic map on Bing for Florida and I-75 on the west coast is already showing heavy traffic northbound in places from Fort Myers up to Inverness as people flee.

They've been in the bullseye for days. I worry about GA/SC more as they may take a direct hit but the media isn't focused on that area yet.

3 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

They've been in the bullseye for days. I worry about GA/SC more as they may take a direct hit but the media isn't focused on that area yet.

It is all over the news here in Columbia, SC. SC will be prepared. 

2 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Local media in Charleston at least has been well aware of what's going on for days now. At work we're at our second site-wide message about it and with alternative sources, the local Reddit sub has a pretty good megathread going. It's not about to sneak up on coastal SC.

1 minute ago, Ser Pounce said:

Local media in Charleston at least has been well aware of what's going on for days now. At work we're at our second site-wide message about it and with alternative sources, the local Reddit sub has a pretty good megathread going. It's not about to sneak up on coastal SC.

A lot of stuff I continue to see is OTS, maybe a little rain, I am 147 miles from the coast, and we flood with a bad thunderstorm. I am thankful I found your site

3 minutes ago, Ser Pounce said:

Thats good to hear

1 minute ago, Ser Pounce said:

I'm concerned about Georgia where no major hurricane has come ashore since 1898. Lack of experience with hurricanes may well lead to a lack of preparedness, complacency, and/or overconfidence among some of the residents living in coastal areas or adjacent islands.

2 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

I would imagine Hugo is still rather fresh in the minds of many South Carolinians.

I was in Charleston in July. I walked along the promenade where there are massive houses. I spoke with one of the owners, who told me that all of the previous homes in that area had been destroyed in Hugo, and the current homes were all built since then...

1 minute ago, donsutherland1 said:

I'm concerned about Georgia where no major hurricane has come ashore since 1898. Lack of experience with hurricanes may well lead to a lack of preparedness, complacency, and/or overconfidence among some of the residents living in coastal areas or adjacent islands.

yes, we are not experienced even inland, I don't even have a clue what needs to be done. Our area is already suffering gas shortage from Harvey. 

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

I was in Charleston in July. I walked along the promenade where there are massive houses. I spoke with one of the owners, who told me that all of the previous homes in that area had been destroyed in Hugo, and the current homes were all built since then...

Yep.  You can find the storm surge mark on the concrete walls.

Archived