Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, 4waresnowcone said:

I see. Thanks for the detailed info. I'm in Atlanta, so I've never had to deal with any kind of flooding, and new to following wx in general. Shout out to everyone for being so helpful here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivan crossed near Atlanta in 2004.  I lived in Alpharetta at the time.  Big Creek (so called; normally you can jump over it) flooded big time.  I believe we got close to a foot of rain over about a 12-15 hour period

5 minutes ago, Derecho! said:

Just a PSA - depending on what Spaghetti Plot you are looking at and what models they include, keep in mind there are a TON of models that are based off the GFS - including HWRF and HMON, etc. etc. It can give a false impression of model consensus because the models derived from the GFS move with the GFS.

The GFS has actually performed quite poorly with Irma, actually even worse than the Canadian, actually. 

The Euro has beating everything including the official.

mae.png.78a875b6915ab072357d1344fa8bcc69.png

8 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

This thread is moving really fast, so my apologies if this has been covered, but St. Thomas and St. John's in the USVI really look like they are going to take a nasty hit.  

I have a friend who lives in Charlotte Amalie and we were chatting around midnight local time last night and we both agreed at the time that it looked like the eye would pass north of St. Thomas. Looking at satellite and radar right now, that no longer seems to be the case. I haven't been able to reach her to get an update, but I'm pretty sure she is too busy making final preparations to be chatting with friends and family at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The Euro has beating everything including the official.

It's getting to the Point where some of the consensus models don't matter because the Euro is so dominant (I really wish the Euro ensemble mean was on that chart, though). 

It's so good it's getting boring - witness the immense resistance in this thread to Euro dominance. 

It's getting to the Point where some of the consensus models don't matter because the Euro is so dominant (I really wish the Euro ensemble mean was on that chart, though). 

It's so good it's getting boring - witness the immense resistance in this thread to Euro dominance. 

please. Euro has gone from OTS to gulf to Cuba to east coast of FL.

1 minute ago, DCAlexandria said:

emoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.pngplease. Euro has gone from OTS to gulf to Cuba to east coast of FL.

LOL. Euro has been terrible past hour 72. Yes, it's scoring well inside of that but it's been the worst model by far outside of that. Very erratic with thousand mile shifts each run.

2 minutes ago, DCAlexandria said:

emoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.pngplease. Euro has gone from OTS to gulf to Cuba to east coast of FL.

The GFS was one of the only models to oppose the Cuba landfall scenario, and has been generally more consistent with the medium term track into the east coast. Yes, the euro has superior verification possibly with short term track, but as far as practical application of model data, I think the GFS has been superior with long term track with Irma.

2 minutes ago, ag3 said:

LOL. Euro has been terrible past hour 72. Yes, it's scoring well inside of that but it's been the worst model by far outside of that. Very erratic with thousand mile shifts each run.

So you are saying the calculations at http://www.atmos.albany.edu/facstaff/tang/tcguidance/al112017/ are incorrect?  It has Euro with by far the lowest error at hour 120. 

You might want to send them an e-mail explaining in detail how your own Mean Absolute Error calculations are correct. You have done calculations on your own, right? 

3 minutes ago, Z-Cast said:

Verification scores through 120HR tell the story though. It's really not close.

The argument is post the D4-5 period. Models are now congregating toward a track which the GFS has been mostly indicating over the balance of this storm's life (an east coast landfall).

Just now, Isotherm said:

The argument is post the D4-5 period. Models are now congregating toward a track whicj the GFS has been mostly indicating over the balance of this storm's life (an east coast landfall).

It's people anecdotally handwaving what they think verification is past 120 based on their personal biases. I'd be extraordinarily shocked if verification leaders suddenly flipped post 120. That's not how this works. 

2 minutes ago, DCAlexandria said:

Yeah the amount of credit the euro gets, including during the winter, is a bit over the top at times. Sure it may do better than other models but the idea it's perfect, without its flaws, or it doesnt shift around a lot too is often greatly exaggerated 

3 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

The GFS was one of the only models to oppose the Cuba landfall scenario, and has been generally more consistent with the medium term track into the east coast. Yes, the euro has superior verification possibly with short term track, but as far as practical application of model data, I think the GFS has been superior with long term track with Irma.

I agree with this interpretation -- so far the euro gets the short term details best, but has been lagging to the GFS in terms of the big picture outcome.

4 minutes ago, Derecho! said:

It's people anecdotally handwaving what they think verification is past 120 based on their personal biases. I'd be extraordinarily shocked if verification leaders suddenly flipped post 120. That's not how this works. 

Bingo!  If at T+120 Euro is crushing the GFS and others...longer leads, there is no way a model's verification ranking flips...it would have to basically acquire Tourette's syndrome.

1 minute ago, AcePuppy said:

I see everyone talking about the possibilities of a FL landfall, a possible Gulf landfall which is almost out of the question now or a Georgia/Carolinas landfall. What is the real possibility this thing curves OTS?

15%, and I guarantee this percentage will verify.

It's still possible if that is what you are looking for.

Archived