• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

Snap maps is a great feature to use to see what's happening on the islands in real time.

good video from when saint marten was in the eye

surprised at the amount of leaves still left on trees for a category 5 storm and based on the wind obs from Barbuda.   

The limited pictures I saw from some residential areas looked tons better than Rockwell Texas last week. 

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

Snap maps is a great feature to use to see what's happening on the islands in real time.

good video from when saint marten was in the eye

surprised at the amount of leaves still left on trees for a category 5 storm and based on the wind obs from Barbuda.   

The limited pictures I saw from some residential areas looked tons better than Rockwell Texas last week. 

Watching some friends of friends on Facebook live in Anguilla and it's bad there. Palm trees down and they are begging for the eye so they can go check on friends. Just horrible situation. Btw no clue how they have internet 

1 minute ago, No snow for you said:

Watching some friends of friends on Facebook live in Anguilla and it's bad there. Palm trees down and they are begging for the eye so they can go check on friends. Just horrible situation. Btw no clue how they have internet 

Internet is from underwater cables

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Tortola is going to be badly whacked,   USVI should barely escape the northern and NE eye wall.

Virgin Gorda is one of the most beautiful places on earth-should take the brunt.

Unless a more northern track is made, San Juan will experience the southern eyewall.

I'm personally not buying the big shift East overnight. Yesterday I thought the models over corrected South and West and now I think we're seeing the opposite. If you eliminate the noise, a consensus track brings the eye onshore very close to Miami, and my reasoning hasn't changed over the past several days. Irma should cross the far Southeastern tip of Florida and then ride Northward with a secondary landfall in the Carolinas. I'm also not ready to completely wave the all clear for NYC and New England.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

I'm personally not buying the big shift East overnight. Yesterday I thought the models over corrected South and West and now I think we're seeing the opposite. If you eliminate the noise, a consensus track brings the eye onshore very close to Miami, and my reasoning hasn't changed over the past several days. Irma should cross the far Southeastern tip of Florida and then ride Northward with a secondary landfall in the Carolinas. I'm also not ready to completely wave the all clear NYC and New England.

Seems like NYC and NE are clear. No track is bringing the storm up that way. 

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

I'm personally not buying the big shift East overnight. Yesterday I thought the models over corrected South and West and now I think we're seeing the opposite. If you eliminate the noise, a consensus track brings the eye onshore very close to Miami, and my reasoning hasn't changed over the past several days. Irma should cross the far Southeastern tip of Florida and then ride Northward with a secondary landfall in the Carolinas. I'm also not ready to completely wave the all clear NYC and New England.

Strangely enough I've seen a few posts on twitter that systems won't ever come ashore into Florida from the south.  They'll try very hard to either go west or go east.  If they go east the tendency is then usually for them to miss or stay just offshore unless some sort of synoptic setup forces them in 

1 minute ago, Crazy4Wx said:

Not too surprising...going over the islands was going to have some impact

That's nonsense LOL. Buzz sawing a few small islands isn't going to impact an organized TS let alone a fully developed CAT 5. These islands aren't exceptionally mountainous. The pressure could have slightly come up, however it looks like recon missed the center.

recon_AF307-1211A-IRMA_dropsondes.png

Archived