Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

Just now, Crazy4Wx said:

Well, won't the surge still be devastating for the keys regardless of the eye coming on shore in northern Cuba?

Surge for the Keys is somewhat self-limiting as the surge will hit the reef first. In the 1935 storm, they had 40-50' waves at the reef, and what did make it to land was enhanced because a lot of the cuts and creeks were plugged up by railroad. That said, a 20' storm surge will wipe most anything off the keys. 

Even Donna only had about a 6' surge when it passed over Marathon (per the water marks in house I was living in). 

1 minute ago, thess said:

It's a visitor evac that starts tomorrow.

I assume they are staging it (visitors, then residents) to ease the bottlenecks on those tiny little roads. 

(Unless there have been significant upgrades in the highways there--haven't been in at least ten years.)

Plus, Keys residents can be remarkably stubborn about evacs. Source: family members in Marathon and Key West who rode out Wilma. 

I lived in Marathon in the late 1960s. People will stay. (but per the MCSO, the evacuation is for everyone and starts tomorrow morning at 7.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ginx snewx said:

The surge even without a direct hit is going to be tremendous with all that water flowing east on the NE Side or IRMA

I guess the thing is Georges was destroyed by Hispaniola of east Cuba too so the remnant surge was probably mostly gone.  I would think as you say above this one might have a greater leftover rise in water from when it was a Cat 4 or 5 just a day earlier 

8 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

You wonder why they couldnt have waited another day to evacuate the Keys.  If this ends to slamming into Cuba as long as the Euro shows hypothetically it probably comes out as a Cat 1 and you have another dangerous what if one really does happen one day and people don't evacuate 

I think this decision may be largely because the Cuba / No Cuba scenario is somewhat academic for the Keys. As the Gulf Stream pumps through the Florida Strait, it will be met with contrary, long-fetch winds for a couple of days prior to the arrival of the storm. The seas around that area are going to be massive, and steep. There's a very good chance of significant impact from that, alone.

31 minutes ago, wxmx said:

Agree. Look at what happened to Gilbert, Dean or Janet after crossing the flat Yucatan peninsula.

Yucatan is part of the continent though, Cuba is a thin island.  Sure it has tall mountains in some areas but you have to hit it just "right" (or "wrong") to get that effect- it's like threading a needle.  Sure it could happen and weaken the storm considerably, but I wouldn't count on it taking that track unless I was within 3 days of the event.

17 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Anyone have a link to a frontline weather station that will be the first to feel the fury of Irma? and a radar station?

Thanks

Here's a link to the Pureto Rico Traffic Cams. There's a active cam at the moment on the NE side of the island, and you can see clouds from an outer bank moving in. Many more in the San Juan area.

http://its.dtop.gov.pr/(X(1)S(gs1c44hygyqrjopsccxagpse))/en/Default.aspx

1 minute ago, bdgwx said:

The spread in the EPS members at hour 120 is pretty big. The mean isn't very cohesive, but verbatim I guess I'd put LF at Miami close to hour 132. The EPS and GEFS suggest D5 forecast confidence is below average right now.

10 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Very interesting. 00z vs 12z EPS at 120. Rolled 00z forward 12 hours to account for time. 

eps_cyclone_atlantic_20.thumb.png.aac753ac118e1d08c75aee4ed1e9e005.pngeps_cyclone_atlantic_23.thumb.png.ef4dd6ad5e7c4ad1879942b6f4d0f07e.png

2 minutes ago, bdgwx said:

The spread in the EPS members at hour 120 is pretty big. The mean isn't very cohesive, but verbatim I guess I'd put LF at Miami close to hour 132. The EPS and GEFS suggest D5 forecast confidence is below average right now.

It's an abnormally large spread and the spread is pretty even, indicating how sensitive the track will be to small changes.

3 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

It's an abnormally large spread and the spread is pretty even, indicating how sensitive the track will be to small changes.

Very hard to detect any differences in the EPS 500 mb mean and OP through 120.  The trough and ridge are nearly identical.

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Very hard to detect any differences in the EPS 500 mb mean and OP through 120.  The trough and ridge are nearly identical.

The lack of crossing tracks suggest differences have a lot to do with the initial position and short term motion. 

Archived