Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Tip wasn't actually the strongest storm on record, if you go my wind speeds.  Pressure-wise it was, but hurricanes are categorized by wind speed and not pressure.  Based on that both Patricia and Haiyan were stronger.  Patricia actually broke the pressure/wind relationship and had the strongest winds of any TC we know, at 215 mph, but the good thing was it hit a sparsely populated area.

Patricia also weakened substantially prior to landfall.

1 minute ago, andyhb said:

Can you stop with this condescending tone to all of your posts? What the people said that you responded to was not invalid.

Sorry if I'm coming across that way, that's not my intention. Just trying to make sure we're all on the same page.

The 12z NAVGEM manages to miss both Cuba and FL with the core before making landfall in SC.

navgem_mslp_pcpn_us_25.png

30 hrs over Cuba will weaken it a lot even without mountains. Cat1 would be my guess maybe Cat2. But there's a big difference if it's just 10-20 miles farther north which would keep the eye right on the coast I think and not fully on land for most of the period. Could probably maintain Cat3 if the eye is not fully on land for more than 3-6 hours. 

Given how accurate the Euro has been and usually is, we will probably find out.

Just now, skierinvermont said:

30 hrs over Cuba will weaken it a lot even without mountains. Cat1 would be my guess maybe Cat2. But there's a bid difference if it's just 10-20 miles farther north which would keep the eye right on the coast I think and not fully on land for most of the period.

Of course and Cuba's such a thin island that a 20 mile difference will make all the difference.

On the euro, trough over the east coast was actually deeper on 12z versus 6z.

The differentiating factor here, resulting in the track further west was the development of a TC in the western Gulf on the 12z euro which acted to build back the ridge, causing the recurve to happen later, into western Fla.

Lots of players on the field here...

4 minutes ago, skierinvermont said:

30 hrs over Cuba will weaken it a lot even without mountains. Cat1 would be my guess maybe Cat2. But there's a big difference if it's just 10-20 miles farther north which would keep the eye right on the coast I think and not fully on land for most of the period. Could probably maintain Cat3 if the eye is not fully on land for more than 3-6 hours. 

even though it is best euro also has a 120KM 4 day track error so keep that in mind

It almost has to thread the needle NOT to be a major for FL. That is an exaggeration of course, but if it stays NE it misses Cuba and hits Miami. If it goes too far SW it will likely track up the west coast of FL giving more time for strengthening on 30-31C surface waters and exposing a large area to the right front quadrant. It would have to take a big chunk of Cuba but then turn north soon enough to hit far South FL. 

Just now, AcePuppy said:

Even with a direct Cuba hit for about a day, why are the max winds still showing 157 right on the Keys in one of the maps posted 10 minutes ago?

SSTs right around there are approaching 90F - so I would imagine a rapid intensification upon re-entering the water is possible.

Just now, jayson said:

Because the models are awful at forecasting intensity. 

Yeah they did this with Ike too, having it deepen by quite a bit over the Gulf despite its inner core getting shredded.

The Keys and the west coast of FL are more surge prone than the east coast of FL however. So in that track, the surge could still create havoc. Pick your poison really.

I feel silly even saying this, but looks like Irma is about to take off again. Outflow has increased again, especially to the South of the center. The eye is about as symmetrical and clear as it has been during its existence. And cloud tops have really begun to cool again over the past hour or so.

Something not being discussed here is the influence the development of a low near Missouri will have on steering Irma north then northwest.  The timing of the northward turn will depend on the timing of the development and strengthening of this low. NWS Raleigh is leaning toward a faster turn to the north with the hurricane tracking along the eastern coast of Florida and then a turn to the northwest between Georgia and South Carolina.  At this point, some of the models may not taking this low into consideration.

Just now, Suncat said:

Something not being discussed here is the influence the development of a low near Missouri will have on steering Irma north then northwest.  The timing of the northward turn will depend on the timing of the development and strengthening of this low. NWS Raleigh is leaning toward a faster turn to the north with the hurricane tracking along the eastern coast of Florida and then a turn to the northwest between Georgia and South Carolina.  At this point, some of the models may not taking this low into consideration.

The models are taking it into consideration, and that's why they (almost) unanimously turn Irma northward near Florida.

10 minutes ago, skierinvermont said:

Agree. Look at what happened to Gilbert, Dean or Janet after crossing the flat Yucatan peninsula.

Just now, Suncat said:

When can we expect a more definitive model?

Man, the divergence in the GFS and Euro in terms of Florida is coming at an absolutely horrible time IMO.  Officials should just tell everyone to leave the areas that could be affected, but they won't want to be wrong.  Hopefully the next set of models clarify this divergence.  After watching the Sandy situation closely I am inclined to almost always believe the Euro, as it hit that situation with many days to spare.  But who knows.

First post, thanks for the insight and education. Hoping to make a career out of this!!

Out of curiosity though... As was mentioned a page or two back, the latest Euro initialized with an ~40mb strength higher than where Irma is now. What, if any, impacts would that have on the forecasted track, especially beyond 72hrs?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Archived