Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Chinook said:

regarding the latest Vortex recon message: the surface wind detected is 160 kt, the max flight level wind is 151 kt. Is this something to be expected? I was thinking that the flight level winds were always at least 10% greater than the surface wind.

That's what I thought as well.

5 minutes ago, Chargers09 said:

how do you figure it's barely a hurricane? 

If it spends almost a whole day over Cuba, very little chance IMO that it's a Cat 2 or more when it leaves. It could restrengthen over the FL straits, but it depends on what kind of core it has left. Big difference for FL whether it crosses much of Cuba or stays just north. 

Just now, jm1220 said:

If it spends almost a whole day over Cuba, very little chance IMO that it's a Cat 2 or more. It could restrengthen over the FL straits, but it depends on what kind of core it has left. Big difference for FL whether it crosses much of Cuba or stays just north. 

That's pretty ignorant of you. That part of Cuba isn't very mountainous. And if the Euro track ends up being a few miles too far South the eye never comes onshore.

Just now, jm1220 said:

If it spends almost a whole day over Cuba, very little chance IMO that it's a Cat 2 or more. It could restrengthen over the FL straits, but it depends on what kind of core it has left. Big difference for FL whether it crosses much of Cuba or stays just north. 

Going strictly off the model output; the post i responded to was inaccurate and irresponsible. 

Don't get caught up on the model pressure/wind speed.  Global model is not going to be able to nail that with a system of current intensity.  More important is whether it landfalls in Cuba and for how long, then make educated guess on amount of weakening/employ statistical tools.

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

The mountains are in the southern part of that portion of Cuba. Not north. It will affect the hurricane but not putting below at Cat 2.

Just now, packbacker said:

Lot of touchy people on this board...if it spends 30 hours over Cuba it's going to weaken....alot.  Matches up with the UK track, two of the best models showing similiar tracks over Cuba, best thing for Florida/Miami, not great for Cuba.

Even the UKMET gets Irma back down into the 960's after spending almost a day over Cuba

GZ_D5_PN_144_0000.gif

2 minutes ago, Casualbrain said:

Amazing how updated Euro follows the UKMET model :)  UKMET has pretty much nailed IRMA's stormtrack from the beginning.

No, it hasn't. EC has been the best Irma model beyond 72 hours and it's been much better than the UKMET beyond 72 hours.  Essentially identical prior to 72 hours. 

mae.png

Just now, beanskip said:

From a track standpoint -- sigh ....

That's not correct either, the angle of approach was much different and landfall was further North. I know you might think it's semantics but we're talking about this coming directly North from Near Cuba not on a NNE heading like Charlie.

Image result for hurricane charley track

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

Even the UKMET gets Irma back down into the 960's after spending almost a day over Cuba

GZ_D5_PN_144_0000.gif

Agree...all I said was that after spending 30 hours over Cuba it greatly weakens and Euro was showing Cat 1 hurricane winds...I know, obvious, atleast I thought it was.  Euro does ramp it back up after leaving Cuba.  The NE low is quicker to move out and thus that seems to move Irma more west.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

That's not correct either, the angle of approach was much different and landfall was further North. I know you might think it's semantics but we're talking about this coming directly North from Near Cuba not on a NNE heading like Charlie.

Image result for hurricane charley track

I'm talking about where it makes landfall. I lived down there for years. I know Charlie was a different storm for heaven's sake. I saw the new pass with my own eyes that it created. I fished pine trees that it knocked into the bay. The Euro just showed a landfall within miles of that spot. Sheesh.

3 hours ago, BlunderStorm said:

Ah, I see now. I do believe that is unchallenged as far as I know in recent memory. It is certainly interesting to view how models project a storm stronger than Tip.

Tip wasn't actually the strongest storm on record, if you go my wind speeds.  Pressure-wise it was, but hurricanes are categorized by wind speed and not pressure.  Based on that both Patricia and Haiyan were stronger.  Patricia actually broke the pressure/wind relationship and had the strongest winds of any TC we know, at 215 mph, but the good thing was it hit a sparsely populated area.

7 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

That's pretty ignorant of you. That part of Cuba isn't very mountainous. And if the Euro track ends up being a few miles too far South the eye never comes onshore.

It really isn't ignorant, it takes a heck of a lot ot sustain a historic Cat 5 or even a Cat 4. Wasn't it FLoyd that just ingested a small amount of dry air and it was never the same?

Hitting Cuba would be a huge saving grace for Florida, obviously it would still be horrible, but the chances are  that any interaction with Cuba would weaken the storm especially if it is for 30+hours.

Just now, Mdecoy said:

It really isn't ignorant, it takes a heck of a lot ot sustain a historic Cat 5 or even a Cat 4. Wasn't it FLoyd that just ingested a small amount of dry air and it was never the same.

Hitting Cuba would be a huge savings grace for Florida, obviously it would still be horrible, but the chances are huge that any interaction with Cuba would weaken the storm especially if it is for 30+hours.

But you really wouldn't have much downsloaping off of Cuba with a track to the North, especially if the core stays mostly offshore. Models may have over corrected South today.

11 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

8 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Can you stop with this condescending tone to all of your posts? What the people said that you responded to was not invalid.

Archived