Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, psv88 said:

My family and my wife's family in south Florida are asking my opinion. I don't know what to say. I've been a hobbyist for 20 years and on these boards for 10 years. People are panicking down there. Flights and hotel rooms are limited. It's a really tough call right now. I'm telling them all not to panic and to make decisions tomorrow night, but I'm really not sure what to say. This storm really scares me.

Wait for official information as its potential is over three days out.  In the meantime they should have food, water supplies, gas in their car and a contingency plan.  I'm in Florida too, and hope it will not be too bad.

1 minute ago, WeatherFox said:

Wait for official information as its potential is over three days out.  In the meantime they should have food, water supplies, gas in their car and a contingency plan.  I'm in Florida too, and hope it will not be too bad.

Yeah because that worked out real well in Texas. It's better to leave now while the traffic won't be as bad. If the storm misses then it was better to be safer than sorry.

6 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Yeah because that worked out real well in Texas. It's better to leave now while the traffic won't be as bad. If the storm misses then it was better to be safer than sorry.

Houston death toll from Harvey 60

Reports from the Houston Chronicle indicated 107 evacuation-related fatalities  for Rita.

6 minutes ago, WeatherFox said:

This.  No need to evacuate now.  But you should get all your supplies and have your evacuation plan in place (where are you going to go?).

Response to other post about supplies in s fla:  Yes there is already a run on supplies.  Publix was out of water today.  People in s fla prepare early.  Many went through Andrew and the news down there goes nuts with hurricanes getting everyone all frenzied.  Source:  mom, dad, brother, uncles, aunts, cousins all in ft lauderdale.

Will start prepping for 'Irma' on Tuesday. GFS/ECMWF looked well enough in 'synch' for me---for significant winds on Sunday (850mb vort/wind fields) around here (northeastern Collier County FL). Still plenty of time to batten down the hatches___and then wait for its big northward turn! That turn is what concerns me the most.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Everyone is obviously free to do what they wish, but there's still some chance for this to go far enough east of Florida to reduce impacts.  I would absolutely fill up the tank and start stocking up on supplies as soon as possible though, as it appears that there's already a run on that stuff.

There should probably be a local impacts/evacuation thread.  Depends on the situation, my mom, who lives directly on the water on a barrier island had no commitments in FL so she just decided to take a vacation to visit and get away regardless.

Product: Bathythermal Data (SOFX01 KWBC)
Date Profile Data was Processed: September 4th, 2017 at 23:54:36Z
Agency: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) 
Aircraft: Lockheed WP-3D Orion (Reg. Num. N42RF) 
Storm Number: 11L in 2017 (flight in the North Atlantic basin)
AXBT Buoy Drop (Airborne eXpendable Bathythermograph)

Profile Date: September 4th, 2017
Profile Time: 23:48:46Z

Profile Coordinates: 17.646N 53.454W 
Profile Location: 516 statute miles (830 km) to the NE (53°) from Bridgetown, Barbados.

AXBT Channel: 16

Sea Surface Temperature: 28.20°C (82.8°F)
Depth of 26°C Isotherm: 120 m (394 ft)
Deepest Depth of AXBT: 337.5 m (1,107 ft)

34 minutes ago, psv88 said:

My family and my wife's family in south Florida are asking my opinion. I don't know what to say. I've been a hobbyist for 20 years and on these boards for 10 years. People are panicking down there. Flights and hotel rooms are limited. It's a really tough call right now. I'm telling them all not to panic and to make decisions tomorrow night, but I'm really not sure what to say. This storm really scares me.

I haven't fully caught up with the thread so my apologies if this has been posted already but it costs nothing to book a hotel room. My advice to anyone who's uncertain is do that now so you have it. Just cancel if you don't end up needing it.

Just now, StormChaser4Life said:

That would really maximize Irma's potential with limited land interaction and water temps in the upper 80s

Exactly what I was about to say... most tracks aside from the UK stay north enough of the islands to likely not be overly detremental to the circulation. 

35 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

What part of South Florida? I have family in Boynton Beach. I told them to get out. They are flying up here on Friday. They were coming up here for a wedding anyway.

My parents are in Boynton Beach as well. Far enough inland to avoid any surge/floods. Biggest worry for them will be loss of power. I am trying to see if I can get down there before it hits.

Just now, jojo762 said:

Exactly what I was about to say... most tracks aside from the UK stay north enough of the islands to likely not be overly detremental to the circulation. 

That's pretty much a worse case scenario track given what it has access to. Even if it came into FL from the south that would still place vulnerable areas like Miami in right front quadrant unless it did what Matthew did and had the eye and most intense part of eyewall off shore

Archived