Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Maybe not technical landfall in Florida but might as well call it a hit for all intents and purposes.  Western eyewalls can be pretty nasty too... just saw that example around Rockport, TX.

You're in all likelihood dealing with at least a high end cat 4 with a huge wind field. TS winds extend hundreds of miles from the center.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bluewave said:

Maybe the only thing good you can say about this run is that it's past 120 hrs and has time to change.

I know we are all trying to be PC in our posts. But it's pretty much common sense it's gonna change being that far out. What needs to be noticed is trends and what features are on the map. 

2 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

It certainly has time to change especially considering even a slight adjustment in that track could make a huge difference with things.

Yeah the good ole east coast and its funky angles, 50-100 miles one way or the other on the north track off Florida really is the difference between Hilton Head and Wilmington....though this setup would tend to lean more with the NW track so further south, that doesnt even take into account the timing of the turn in the Bahamas and how that changes things as well....they will end up having to evacuate the entire SE coast again. 

2 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Yeah the good ole east coast and its funky angles, 50-100 miles one way or the other on the north track off Florida really is the difference between Hilton Head and Wilmington....though this setup would tend to lean more with the NW track so further south, that doesnt even take into account the timing of the turn in the Bahamas and how that changes things as well....they will end up having to evacuate the entire SE coast again. 

Curious, has this ever happened? 

I think people might be discounting the idea that this landfalls in Cuba and gets significantly weakened before any potential US impacts. 

And I think understandably some people are hopecasting it will. It certainly is a significant difference potentially in strength.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, nwburbschaser said:

I think people might be discounting the idea that this landfalls in Cuba and gets significantly weakened before any potential US impacts. 

The GFS and Euro don't show it hitting Cuba but it will be close for sure. One small swing south and it would be a direct hit. 

4 minutes ago, nwburbschaser said:

The GFS and Euro both keep it off the coast today. Not sure why or how people are "wishcasting"? Yea there may be some dry air intrusion but it would be pretty intact heading toward FL with bath water and super high moisture laden content.

5 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

The GFS and Euro both keep it off the coast today. Not sure why or how people are "wishcasting"? Yea there may be some dry air intrusion but it would be pretty intact heading toward FL with bath water and super high moisture laden content.

Except dry air intrusion can last for longer than expected if it penetrates the inner core. You can't just discount that. Of course, if Irma has a well established CDO by the time that happens, it would be less prone to the effects of dry air entrainment, but you can't just ignore mitigating factors.

17 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Recon just found 139 mph flight level wind and 129 mph surface wind in the northeast quadrant.  It appears the outer eyewall is taking over and strengthening.

That's terrible news for the northern islands.   Even though the center is still forecast to go just North of them, by as little as 20 miles, they will be very close if not hit by the southern eyewall.  One unfortunate wobble as it passes could mean the difference between disaster and catastrophe.  

1 minute ago, andyhb said:

Except dry air intrusion can last for longer than expected if it penetrates the inner core. You can't just discount that. Of course, if Irma has a well established CDO by the time that happens, it would be less prone to the effects of dry air entrainment, but you can't just ignore mitigating factors.

Oh no definitely agree on this, pending how close it gets to land interaction. But I think it was actually the other individual that mentioned wishcasting and that is just plain wrong. This is a major deal regardless if it gets interrupted in the eyewall. Verbatim per Euro and GFS it SHOULD stay intact. 

3 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Oh no definitely agree on this, pending how close it gets to land interaction. But I think it was actually the other individual that mentioned wishcasting and that is just plain wrong. This is a major deal regardless if it gets interrupted in the eyewall. Verbatim per Euro and GFS it SHOULD stay intact. 

Global models do not have the resolution to capture processes on this kind of scale, thus they will underestimate their effects essentially all of the time.

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

I'm a bit worried last night's runs were just overcorrections and it won't end up really coming that close to Cuba in the end 

I really don't know all that much about tropics, but how does the HWRF handle things compared to GFS/Euro? It was south a while before the other models corrected that way and it hasn't changed so I've been putting a bit more stock in its solution. It goes right across Cuba. 

Archived