Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

How surge vulnerable is the east coast of FL? I know west coast is extremely surge vulnerable. 

I'd be interested in a more authoritative answer, but the way I have always understood it is that the shallow coastal waters in the gulf enhance surge.  The E. Coast of FL gets much deeper much faster, so it's doesn't provide as much enhancement.  I think the danger of neighborhoods well inland becoming flooded by surge is much greater on the gulf side.

Of course the E. Coast has much greater population density right on the waterfront so there are plenty of structures and people in harms way. 

1 minute ago, csnavywx said:

Latest recon pass suggests it is about to complete another ERC. Inner wind max is dropping off as outer one takes over.

This storm will be unique from a research angle, because it seems to me that it's taken Irma about 12 hours or so to complete these ERC's. Some storms struggle to make it complete in 24 hours. 

9 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

For posterity's sake but this is pretty scary....

us_model-en-087-0_modusa_2017090412_150_507_470.png

If the GFS and other models continue to zero in on south Florida over the next couple days, might be prudent of government officials and the NWS/NHC to start sounding the alarms (I.e, talk about the potentially devasating impacts) and start evacuations early. Things can, and likely will, change though. So no need to do that now. 

12 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

For posterity's sake but this is pretty scary....

us_model-en-087-0_modusa_2017090412_150_507_470.png

FYI, surge isn't as big a danger on the east coast of FL as the west/north coast because the shelf is very close to the shore there. A wider shelf allows more water to pile up and be driven on to land. That's not to say the surge wouldn't be catastrophic in some areas though. 

3 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

If the GFS and other models continue to zero in on south Florida over the next couple days, might be prudent of government officials and the NWS/NHC to start sounding the alarms (I.e, talk about the potentially devasating impacts) and start evacuations early. Things can, and likely will, change though. So no need to do that now. 

I think the couple days thing is key.  If we're seeing similar solutions with respect to Florida in a couple days, the ball will need to start rolling.  It takes time to do a proper evacuation.  What also needs to be kept in mind is that people who don't necessarily have to evacuate may start to panic if a cat 4/5 is progged/forecast, adding gridlock on the roads.

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

FYI, surge isn't as big a danger on the east coast of FL as the west/north coast because the shelf is very close to the shore there. A wider shelf allows more water to pile up and be driven on to land. That's not to say the surge wouldn't be catastrophic in some areas though. 

I should have been more clear that this is not a surge map.  But for the reasons you mentioned very significant wave heights could be very close to shore especially in that area due to the geography.  Of course this is a modeled representation of what if.  I don't think I've ever seen 45-50 footers modeled that close to shore anywhere on the EC.  Thats why I mentioned it :D

13 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Eh. Most of my family is in SE Florida, some along a1a, which is essentially a barrier island. The storm as progged would cause a complete wash over of many areas, including downtown ft lauderdale, deerfield beach and pompano. Matthew caused major problems for these areas and it didn't even hit. 

Saving grace is that most of these areas are well built apartment buildings, so there wouldn't be significant damage to structures right along the coast. And the houses that are along the coast are very well built.  But don't be mistaken, large population centers would be under a lot of water. 

12Z ECMWF is running! Get it in full resolution for free: https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/623-w-130-n/relative-humidity-700mb/20170904-2100z.html that's 700mb RH, you can see all pressure level data plus other parameters such as PWAT, simulated reflectivity, and more via menus to the left of the image. You can also create custom domains. Click image to zoom in or click near edge to pan. Enjoy! 

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2017090412_9_15866_454.png

1 hour ago, SN_Lover said:

This has it phasing with the first SW the GFS has it phasing with a second SW. Tricky forecast and shows anything can still happen. Hopefully the 0z runs provide some clarity. 

I wouldn't expect any clarity on a 0Z run 7 days before the event.

Archived