Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, forecasterjack said:

Thinking out loud. If that next wave in the C ATL can develop enough, could it deliver a blow to the WAR significant enough to let Irma come east? ECMWF H5 data free from weather.us: https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/724-w-263-n/geopotential-height-500hpa/20170910-1200z.html can get vorticity, RH, winds, heights for all pressure levels via menus left of image :) 

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2017090400_156_15844_310.png

Doubtful.. much better chance the trough pulls out a bit slower like the models were showing earlier.  The quicker exit per the models is what's giving her more westward movement.

16 minutes ago, forecasterjack said:

Thinking out loud. If that next wave in the C ATL can develop enough, could it deliver a blow to the WAR significant enough to let Irma come east? ECMWF H5 data free from weather.us: https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/724-w-263-n/geopotential-height-500hpa/20170910-1200z.html can get vorticity, RH, winds, heights for all pressure levels via menus left of image :) 

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2017090400_156_15844_310.png

That would be nice, fingers crossed.

54 minutes ago, rjtysinger said:

Glad I'm out of the woods here in NC, don't wish this storm on anyone because it's nothing but death and destruction!  Prayers for FL or wherever south and west!  After living through Fran ,Dennis, Floyd and most recently Matthew I'm breathing a sigh of relief. Just let my family and friends know all would be well!

I am about as much as a novice at this as anyone on the board but even I know enough not to declare NC out of the woods at this point.

1 hour ago, Isotherm said:

1zgcbw2.gif

Experiencing Donna what was most interesting was the strength of the winds just WEST of the center.    Was in school n NJ and trees were uprooted left and right.    OT but an epic winter followed.   Big year, Mazeroski's HR to send us Yankee fans home crying, Donna, JFK election, epic winter.

Six hourly upper-air soundings will begin at 1800 UTC today over the
central United States to better sample the upstream mid-latitude
trough.  In addition, the NOAA G-IV aircraft will begin sampling the
environment around Irma this afternoon and evening, and these data
will be included in tonight's 0000 UTC model runs.

Wow, just got around to pulling down the models, the GFS solution at 06Z is LOL...hard to take anything seriously when it has strong interaction with the mountains of Hispaniola and Cuba, no weakening, then bottom drops out as it cross back toward FL and remains hurricane strength all the way through GA?  :rofl: 

Just now, OUGrad05 said:

Wow, just got around to pulling down the models, the GFS solution at 06Z is LOL...hard to take anything seriously when it has strong interaction with the mountains of Hispaniola and Cuba, no weakening, then bottom drops out as it cross back toward FL and remains hurricane strength all the way through GA?  :rofl: 

Yeah, total joke. I am trying to remember what year it was but I remember a strong Hurricane doing a dance with all of Cuba like the GFS is showing and it came out barely a tropical storm into the gulf and never was the same again.

1 minute ago, MattPetrulli said:

It is important to remind users that Cuba's high  mountains are on the SE side, not the northern side. 

a237f09367cde7a6af4eb1ef1c6d74e4.png

That's a very minor point TBH.  Those mountains cause significant disruption to storms all the time and given the projected center location on the GFS there's no way they don't impact the storm.  GFS shows landfall as a cat4/5 (5 judging from pressure) and stays that way 920mb as it departs.  That's a ridiculous solution...I guess I could be proven wrong by the storm but I doubt it.

34 minutes ago, bigtenfan said:

I am about as much as a novice at this as anyone on the board but even I know enough not to declare NC out of the woods at this point.

I think this could be applied to 95%> of the people here. On another note I must say I am impressed by Irma strengthening since last night.

1 hour ago, rjtysinger said:

Every thing I read here said its FL to the Gulf and were only a week out!

The strongest storm to hit the US (Labor Day storm) took out Islamorada and tracked up through central NC. 

Donna took out Marathon and tracked up through E NC.

It may not be a major if/when it gets here, but it can still do flooding and wind damage in NC. 

laborday35track.jpg

43 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Experiencing Donna what was most interesting was the strength of the winds just WEST of the center.    Was in school n NJ and trees were uprooted left and right.    OT but an epic winter followed.   Big year, Mazeroski's HR to send us Yankee fans home crying, Donna, JFK election, epic winter.

I was just starting the 9th grade in Brooklyn Tech. I remember the wide stairs going up into Fort Green Park disappearing and turning into a raging Rapids. It must have been a fast mover, by late that afternoon the sun was out and there was a magnificent rainbow stretched across the Brooklyn sky.

59 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It's fun to reminisce Grandpa but let's do it in the banter thread.  I'll even tell you about my Connie/Dianne experience.

Archived