joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is the interaction with Cuba dependent on the movement in the next couple of days? Because right now the storm is heading WSW, but in response to the trough it is going to start to turn west and then wnw for awhile before heading back west before the final turn north? I think we will have to see how much latitude it gains in that WNW movement in the next few days before heading back west.

13 minutes ago, Duality said:

Was Chuck that said that Mdecoy

OK, thanks, my fault

Glad I'm out of the woods here in NC, don't wish this storm on anyone because it's nothing but death and destruction!  Prayers for FL or wherever south and west!  After living through Fran ,Dennis, Floyd and most recently Matthew I'm breathing a sigh of relief. Just let my family and friends know all would be well!

1 minute ago, rjtysinger said:

Glad I'm out of the woods here in NC, don't wish this storm on anyone because it's nothing but death and destruction!  Prayers for FL or wherever south and west!  After living through Fran ,Dennis, Floyd and most recently Matthew I'm breathing a sigh of relief. Just let my family and friends know all would be well!

Who said you're out of the woods?  This is still more than a week away from landfall.  Still way too early.

You're definitely not out of the woods yet. Keep an eye on this.

Qs6vfLk.png

2 minutes ago, rjtysinger said:

Way too early to say that!!

There's still a lot of time left for models to change, I wouldn't say NC is out of the woods by any means. Wait until later before coming to any conclusions because what you see now is by no means gospel.

Just now, rjtysinger said:

that's really irresponsible and immature for you to tell anyone you are out of or not out of the woods. The final outcome is still far from decided and a lot can change. Anywhere from FL to Canadian maritimes to ots is still very much at play at these leads 

NC impacts still very much on the table. ECMWF simulated radar shows this: https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/800-w-320-n/base-reflectivity/20170912-1200z.html

Just now, rjtysinger said:

Every thing I read here said its FL to the Gulf and were only a week out!

We're just looking at the forecast models.  Yes, they are targeting FL for the most part but is very possible that will change... could trend back north... could continue to trend south and end up in the GOM.  This is a tricky forecast.

30 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

So is the interaction with Cuba dependent on the movement in the next couple of days? Because right now the storm is heading WSW, but in response to the trough it is going to start to turn west and then wnw for awhile before heading back west before the final turn north? I think we will have to see how much latitude it gains in that WNW movement in the next few days before heading back west.

No I wouldn't say that. You can't extrapolate short term track deviations into the longer term with hurricanes generally. It's just too complicated. In some situations you can think of it a bit like a funnel. No matter where the storm enters the steering currents will ultimately move it to a similar location. Other times it's just the opposite and 50 miles can be the difference between getting picked up by a trough and missing it. In that case a 50 mile short term difference could result in a thousand mile difference at day 5.

Every thing I read here said its FL to the Gulf and were only a week out!

Nothing is "off the table", (I so hate that phrase.)  Pay attention to the fact that all the models are shifting all over the place.  "Only a week out"....please!  There are so many potential outcomes, soley determined by the surrounding synoptic environment, that are certainly far from being resolved at these lead times.  Check the average mean of error for track forecasts 6-7 days out....

Okay, dumb question here, but many dismiss the strong storm past Cuba on the GFS. Isn't land interaction part of the model variables? If not, that's a pretty epic fail not to consider something so utterly basic. If so, they should just disband NOAA entirely for such incompetence. That can't be the case, so why dismiss it completely?

I understand that and not trying to troll but a lot don't.  I had family visit the site and felt all was OK based off of posts.  Hopefully an OTS option is still viable.  I understand the discussion based off of model runs but just wanted to throw out that not everyone does and some come here and read posts and take it for gospel!  Not trying to say that disclaimers should be thrown out, maybe based off current modeling or synopsis.   A lot of people visit boards when threats present themselves and take everything seriously. Whether they are trying to learn or are just concerned!  Hope everyone stays safe and Irma fan tails you all on her way ots!

There's still a pretty good consensus between GFS, ECMWF, UKMET and the ensembles GEFS and EPS at D5 lead time putting Irma north of Cuba. However, now that we're getting into the time range at which the trough interaction will begin I'd say the confidence on D5 forecasts have moved from above average to just average now. 

I did notice on last night's 0Z run of the ECMWF that Irma is being shown to get captured in the RER of the ULL jet streak like what the GFS was showing. After that we're talking about D7+ lead times so it's pure speculation at this point, but that jet streak takes on anticyclonic curvature. At this time the subtropical jet over the northern GOM intensifies. Verbatim the Euro show Irma getting placed in the unfavorable right exit region, but I could envision a placement in the left exit region resulting in a jet coupling setup with the northern jet. The point is once we get a day or two further into this I could see D5 forecast skill dropping to below average confidence.

If Irma can avoid the shredder, watch out. Zero dry air, vortex dominates the shear pattern. 

ECMWF data available for free at weather.us :) 

PWAT: https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/724-w-263-n/precipitable-water-in/20170910-1200z.html

Shear: https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/724-w-263-n/deep-layer-shear/20170910-1200z.html

Other parameters via menus!

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2017090400_156_15844_469 (1).png

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2017090400_156_15844_244.png

3 minutes ago, rjtysinger said:

I understand that and not trying to troll but a lot don't.  I had family visit the site and felt all was OK based off of posts.  Hopefully an OTS option is still viable.  I understand the discussion based off of model runs but just wanted to throw out that not everyone does and some come here and read posts and take it for gospel!  Not trying to say that disclaimers should be thrown out, maybe based off current modeling or synopsis.   A lot of people visit boards when threats present themselves and take everything seriously. Whether they are trying to learn or are just concerned!  Hope everyone stays safe and Irma fan tails you all on her way ots!

I think realistically, folks will get a 3-day notice of go or no-go.  Everyone knows its out there days and days in advance thanks to the satellites, and it can be followed on its way west with all sorts of possible tracks. But those possibilities can't take into account a sudden shift in the jetstream further north due to a system out in the northern Pacific that hasn't hit the west coast yet that can influence where it goes next.  It's only a series of guesses based on current conditions, possible changes in those conditions in the future, and climatology for this time of year.

16 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

Looks like Irma's current heading is at 267 degrees which is almost due West. Think the stronger this gets, the more the beta effect will win out. Think the chances of a CONUS landfall are certainly on the rise. Hope everyone has their hurricane plan ready! 

Looks like this has a good shot to end the record September streak.

0 hurricane landfalls along US East Coast during September since Jeanne (2004). Longest period on record w/ 0 EC Sept. hurricanes. 

Thinking out loud. If that next wave in the C ATL can develop enough, could it deliver a blow to the WAR significant enough to let Irma come east? ECMWF H5 data free from weather.us: https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/724-w-263-n/geopotential-height-500hpa/20170910-1200z.html can get vorticity, RH, winds, heights for all pressure levels via menus left of image :) 

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2017090400_156_15844_310.png

Archived