Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

This thing may be going to the gulf... hr 141 it looks off the W side of Cuba. By this point the things gotta be in pretty rough shape after being over Cuba for nearly 24 hours...

Looks like at 150 it's starting to move WNW

edit: 156 it is moving NW back over Cuba

2 hours ago, RU848789 said:

I find it interesting that both the Euro and GFS show Irma coming very close to Cuba in the 120 hour range, whereas the NHC predicted location at 120 hours is the Central Bahamas, about 75-100 miles NE of where the Euro/GFS have Irma at that time.  May not sound like much, but 75 miles is the difference between a storm coming up the center of the Florida peninsula vs. coming up just off the coast of Florida, a la Matthew last year.  The CMC looks to be almost in the exact same location in the Central Bahamas at 114 hours, 12 hours earlier than when the NHC has Irma in that location (120 hours from the NHC is 126 hours for the 0Z model suite, as the NHC has a 2 am EDT initial condition, vs. the models' initial condition of 8 pm EDT, I believe).  

So, the NHC did adjust their track significantly SW towards Cuba in the Day 4/5 forecast, with their 5 am update, as per below; not quite clear what this means for the long term, although it has to make a US landfall a bit more likely and an out-to-sea outcome less likely. Here's what they said in their most recent discussion on Irma's track:

A strong, stationary mid-tropospheric high centered over the central
Atlantic is forcing Irma on a west-southwestward course, and the
initial motion estimate remains 255/12 kt. Irma will begin
rounding the southwestern edge of the high soon, which will allow
the hurricane to turn westward later today and then west-
northwestward in 36-48 hours. Down the road, a large mid-latitude
trough is expected to dig southward over the eastern United States
during the next 72 hours, but the global models have been trending
toward quickly lifting the trough out over New England and eastern
Canada on days 4 and 5, with the subtropical ridge building westward
toward Florida. As a result, it's becoming increasingly likely that
Irma would maintain a west-northwestward heading on days 3 through
5, and the track guidance shifted significantly westward on this
cycle during that period. Remarkably, the track models are very
tightly clustered through day 5, which increases the confidence in
the westward shift of the latest NHC forecast.

No automatic alt text available.

9 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

My take at this point, the trends westward won't stop, and I'd not be at all surprised if this goes over or to the south of PR, Haiti/DR and Cuba....not a forecast, but I think the odds of an even more southern track, ATT, are very high.  (For posterity, the current track:)

Irma.png

Well if this does verify, you called it, didn't you say less than 5% this hits north of Florida?

12 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

My take at this point, the trends westward won't stop, and I'd not be at all surprised if this goes over or to the south of PR, Haiti/DR and Cuba....not a forecast, but I think the odds of an even more southern track, ATT, are very high.  (For posterity, the current track:)

Irma.png

If this does turn out to be the solution as it is now depicted it looks to be a landfall somewhere in the Fort Myers /Naples area. How strong would the effect be on the east coast of FL. My limited knowledge would tell me that the EC of FL would be on the dreaded east side of the storm but at the same time about 100-125 miles from the center. Would that translate into say high end TS /low end hurricane winds for the east coast?

1 minute ago, bigtenfan said:

If this does turn out to be the solution as it is now depicted it looks to be a landfall somewhere in the Fort Myers /Naples area. How strong would the effect be on the east coast of FL. My limited knowledge would tell me that the EC of FL would be on the dreaded east side of the storm but at the same time about 100-125 miles from the center. Would that translate into say high end TS /low end hurricane winds for the east coast?

If the GFS is correct with that Ft Myers landfall idea, it'll be pretty hairy on the eastern coast too. Onshore fetch will help accelerate winds and land interaction usually helps increase the size of a storm's wind field though it'll weaken the max. GFS gusts: https://weather.us/model-charts/standard/814-w-261-n/gusts-1h-3h-mph/20170911-1500z.html

us_model-en-087-0_modusa_2017090406_177_8968_227.png

1 minute ago, bigtenfan said:

If, (big if), a track straight up the peninsula were to verify, with the progged size and intensity, I think low end cane wind gusts would be felt on both coasts, along with higher winds over the Everglades, and deep into the interior of the peninsula, with the worst effects felt on the E. Coast of FL.

Archived