Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, high risk said:

It's worth remembering that the recent GFS upgrade makes it so that the SST is allowed to warm during the day and then return to the base state at night.   Some (but not all) of the largest 6-hr pressure falls are occurring during the day.

Why do we keep picking on the GFS when nearly every single computer model is showing low-pressure readings for Irma that haven't been seen in over a decade? Remember, it's not just the GFS that's predicting pressure readings that would be synonymous to a Category 5 hurricane.

2 minutes ago, TriPol said:

Why do we keep picking on the GFS when nearly every single computer model is showing low-pressure readings for Irma that haven't been seen in over a decade? Remember, it's not just the GFS that's predicting pressure readings that would be synonymous to a Category 5 hurricane.

I don't think we're picking on it, per se.   It's clearly going to intensify a LOT.    We're just trying to understand how a global model is dropping the central pressure into the 880s.

3 minutes ago, TriPol said:

Because the GFS is one of the more obviously egregious models.  IF we bottom out at 895 mb or 910 mb it's super impressive but considerably above the GFS.

1 minute ago, high risk said:

I don't think we're picking on it, per se.   It's clearly going to intensify a LOT.    We're just trying to understand how a global model is dropping the central pressure into the 880s.

Funny thing is if it actually happened we would all be sitting here with our jaws dropped to the floor.

I notice the SHIPS intensity forecast gets Irma only to 110 knots and then leaves it there...also that there is complete silence on the SHIPS output. That's another bizarre solution.

I think the real question with some models uncoupling the ocean, some of us want to know why it happened on the 18z run but not some other run.

Just now, Hoosier said:

Because the GFS is one of the more obviously egregious models.  IF we bottom out at 895 mb or 910 mb it's super impressive but considerably above the GFS.

Is there any computer model that can accurately predict a tropical system's pressure 7+ days out? I think the trend is that the pressure is going to be extremely low and potentially historic. I think that's what the GFS is screaming to us and other models are saying the same thing, just not as loudly. Do you agree?

2 minutes ago, TriPol said:

Is there any computer model that can accurately predict a tropical system's pressure 7+ days out? I think the trend is that the pressure is going to be extremely low and potentially historic. I think that's what the GFS is screaming to us and other models are saying the same thing, just not as loudly. Do you agree?

Yes, it's fair to think we could see something pretty rare/historic for the given zone that this will be passing through.

25 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Can someone explain to me what uncoupling is?

I'm no expert but my understanding is that this means the model itself isn't fully accounting for the effects, some negative and some positive, that the storm has on the sea and vice versa.  For instance, upwelling of cooler water, ocean wave surface drag, and sea spray enthalpy flux, etc.  The negative feedbacks being more dominant when not modeled allow the models to overdeepen cyclones under otherwise favorable conditions.  I'm guessing increased resolution may then exacerbate the issue...

1 minute ago, BlunderStorm said:

With the way things are going the GFS may project a landfall on the Puerto Rico coast by 12z tomorrow. Certainly unlikely but one has to wonder I suppose.

All of Puerto Rico is in the cone as of now.  Certainly going to be an uncomfortably close pass at least.

Archived