Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Floyd type turn that would be a logistical nightmare for evacuations verbatim.

Yeah, that's a pretty good comp on the approach.  Looking at the 168 hr panel, I thought for sure they were screwed. Probably would've been had the ridge held just a little more.  

19 minutes ago, BlunderStorm said:

At what angle is Irma making landfall might I ask? Is she going inland into the Piedmont, running north through the coastal plain, or hugging the coast?

Looking at the angle she is coming in at. Unlike Hugo which was moving NW that went through Charlotte Irma is moving more NNW. It looks like more of the Piedmont would be in play probably close to Greensboro.

3 minutes ago, ncskywarn said:

Looking at the angle she is coming in at. uUlike Hugo which was moving NW that went through Charlotte Erma is moving more NNW. It looks like more of the Piedmont would be in play probably close to Greensboro.

that angle would take it through Lexington roughly. 

EDIT: Florence would get wrecked. 

5 minutes ago, ncskywarn said:

Looking at the angle she is coming in at. uUlike Hugo which was moving NW that went through Charlotte Erma is moving more NNW. It looks like more of the Piedmont would be in play probably close to Greensboro.

I am quite fascinated by Hurricane Hugo considering it went directly over the Blue Ridge mountains maintaining tropical storm status charging through Appalachia. In fact the low went directly over my hometown as my parents re-call and is shown on track depictions.

Archived