Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

Just now, friedmators said:

I wonder if Jose will get close enough to influence Irma with regards to track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irma is probably going to result in massive upwelling in it's wake, and the outflow is going to be tremendous, which will both affect Jose negatively if it gets close enough.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ag3 said:

Between hours 228 and 240 movement on the Euro is NNW. Between hours 234 and 240, it's almost due north.

Would likely result in an eastern SC/NC hit and then near LI.

Not going to diagnose model too much but I would expect more NW movement in that time period with the location of the upper low, partial capture and the ridge to the north. 

Just now, Juliancolton said:

Let's cool it a little with this, hey? Drawing the name of every destructive East Coast hurricane is wildly irresponsible when your storm is still well offshore at 240 hours.

It's not irresponsible considering it is a legit threat. Irma is going to be a strong cat 4-5 with at least potential to landfall as a cat 3. It comes down to the building NE ridge and if Irma can miss the trough. 

Eye temperature bolded.

2017SEP01 174500  5.0  968.5  90.0  5.0 5.7 5.8  1.3T/6hr  OFF  OFF   -5.26 -64.66  EYE     15 IR  80.5   18.76   38.38  COMBO  GOES13 46.8 
2017SEP01 181500  5.3  962.9  97.2  5.3 5.8 5.9  1.3T/6hr  OFF  OFF    4.64 -64.74  EYE     16 IR  80.5   18.78   38.48  COMBO  GOES13 46.7 

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

You have to take into account that I usually comes up around the peak of hurricane season.

It has been one of the more common retiree letters since 2000 with so many named storms getting further into the aplahbet. Further back in time the A,B,C, D were more common in less active years.

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

yep.  Carol, Diane, Edna etc...

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

It has been one of the more common retiree letters since 2000 with so many named storms getting further into the aplahbet. Further back in time the A,B,C, D were more common in less active years.

But in less active years, those letters come out later in the season. Look at 92 for example.

6 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Are you just trolling at this point?

What makes you say this? These are legit comparisons, especially with a more progressive trough and a building NE ridge. I was thinking last night the GFS maybe right with the deeper trough, but trends are Irma may miss it. Places near NC and New England need to be prepared. 

Archived