Newest Member
    Dano62
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SN_Lover said:

Good prep for winter :D Thank goodness we wont have to stay up a extra hour then! 

You're so right about that. Can't wait for these models to move up an hour

Of course, my issue is that I usually don't care about winter storms until it's within a few days, and then I'm tempted to stay up for the 06z NAM, so I guess it makes little difference in the end, because I'll convince myself to stay up if I really want to :lol:

Just now, friedmators said:

Basically from Texas to Maine is a possibility at the moment.  A lot of guidance indicating a major CONUS interaction this far out is not a good sign.

I've got a reporter currently working up a story on the capabilities of fema following Harvey. It's going to be interesting to see the outcome.

I don't know if I agree with the Euro's solution, it has a further inland trough with a fairly strong HP off the east coast. The GFS has a deeper trough that sweeps into the east coast during this time frame. I think with the more recent push of troughs within the last week, a pattern change seems firmly in place during the last week and it looks to continue during Irma's approach. The west coast ridge has been no joke, and it is very amplified, and the PNA looks to remain fairly positive. As long as the west coast ridge is so prominent, I have a hard time seeing the Euro's solution. As of now, my guess is a close brush with the east coast, but no official landfall. 

7 minutes ago, CaWx said:

I don't know if I agree with the Euro's solution, it has a further inland trough with a fairly strong HP off the east coast. The GFS has a deeper trough that sweeps into the east coast during this time frame. I think with the more recent push of troughs within the last week, a pattern change seems firmly in place during the last week and it looks to continue during Irma's approach. The west coast ridge has been no joke, and it is very amplified, and the PNA looks to remain fairly positive. As long as the west coast ridge is so prominent, I have a hard time seeing the Euro's solution. As of now, my guess is a close brush with the east coast, but no official landfall. 

The GFS has evolved the trough differently every single run, not sure how you could have any confidence in any GFS solution.

8 minutes ago, Stebo said:

The GFS has evolved the trough differently every single run, not sure how you could have any confidence in any GFS solution.

I have noticed, usually leading up to potenial landfalls, if there is a monster west ridge + week leading up to hurricane is below average temperatures in the east, the pattern usually holds and trough usually prevents a direct landfall. This ridge is no joke, many places in the west are going to break all time September highs, especially here in California. This ridge is going to kick some down stream troughing, no doubt about that. 

Not quite sure what to make of the 00z Euro, as far as any potential for US impacts go. Ends up northeast of the Bahamas as a 920mb Hurricane by hr240 headed poleward. Bottom line is that these long-range model forecasts are going to continue to be highly volatile/inconsistent. 

That's why you don't model hug a week out. A few days of consistency and even trends can get squashed. Pretty drastic differences in that the ECMWF has a stronger trough, doesn't truncate it and cut off a low. Backs off heights to the east and leaves Irma a good bit off the SE coast. You just can't have any certainty this far out of a CONUS hit.

20 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

That's why you don't model hug a week out. A few days of consistency and even trends can get squashed. Pretty drastic differences in that the ECMWF has a stronger trough, doesn't truncate it and cut off a low. Backs off heights to the east and leaves Irma a good bit off the SE coast. You just can't have any certainty this far out of a CONUS hit.

This run makes a lot more sense though, logically a very amplified west ridge is going to have some downstream troughing. Unfortunately for hurricane lovers, I don't see the models trending back to SE landfalls. I could see if heights are stronger, it could clip the New England areas, but at this point I think any sweeping trough could keep Irma offshore. 

46 minutes ago, CaWx said:

This run makes a lot more sense though, logically a very amplified west ridge is going to have some downstream troughing. Unfortunately for hurricane lovers, I don't see the models trending back to SE landfalls. I could see if heights are stronger, it could clip the New England areas, but at this point I think any sweeping trough could keep Irma offshore. 

Umm.... CMC (not that it should be counted, but follow the rest of this), the GFS, and (I'm assuming) the Euro just all had CONUS landfall.

Is this all because one run of the Euro jumped North some? I see no reason to believe that the likelihood of a landfall has changed at all since earlier today.

1 hour ago, Windspeed said:

I haven't really seen that much model hugging, to be fair. It's just that... if basically every model is showing a decent change of landfall, especially with the strength these models are showing, it's definitely going to get some attention. Not sure you were really aiming that comment at anyone, or just making the observation, but figured I would give my cent and a half.

17 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Just would like to reiterate that there's no such thing as trends when talking a 10 day forecast on a small scale, the variables will be incredibly shifty.

Irma could impact anyone from the Gulf to the Canadian maritimes or go OTS (Bermuda?). Odds are still heavily weighed towards an OTS track though. 

It's hard to get an OTS track with the Atlantic ridging that's in place. We shall see.

1 hour ago, Snow88 said:

It's hard to get an OTS track with the Atlantic ridging that's in place. We shall see.

06z gfs says no it isn't. All you need is a break in the ridge and off she goes. It's going to be extremely difficult to get her close without a building WAR (something that's been lacking all summer). 

A cut-off could also help. Many runs to go though but I'm hedging my bets on an OTS track.

8 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Yeah, 06z says hello Bermuda. 

The European from last night trended towards the same idea.  Still plenty of time to figure out the evolution of the 500mb pattern over North America and to see if we can get enough WAR.  A fish storm is still very much on the table.

Archived