joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 2017 Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An outflow boundary from the central Iowa storms pushed through this evening, leading to numerous cells popping just behind it.  It poured rain here for the first time in several weeks, and a bit of lightning came with it.  I finished with 0.61".  Woo!  I didn't expect anything, so I didn't bother cleaning the leaves out of the gutters.  They quickly overflowed.

What a warm last several days it's been.  I did go golfing on Sunday, but besides that, I mostly cooped myself up inside (heat and allergies are not ideal for this time of year).  Luckily though, we finished off with a heavy downpour (and thunder a bit south of here), so as bad as the drought was starting to get, this will help a little (MKE almost reported half an inch of rain in a short period of time, not the best for soaking in, but it's something).

Looking forward to some ideal fall weather the next several days, comfortably crisp.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 2:28 PM, rainsucks said:

yep :blink:

I definitely was wrong, just hard to buy into this magnitude of heat coming off an otherwise cool finish to the warm season.  Looks like we'll get another bout of heat next week.  No predictions by me, but I'm sure it will be more tolerable than this last one.

58 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

I definitely was wrong, just hard to buy into this magnitude of heat coming off an otherwise cool finish to the warm season.  Looks like we'll get another bout of heat next week.  No predictions by me, but I'm sure it will be more tolerable than this last one.

Just by virtue of the fact that we'll be dealing with a lower sun angle (and even less evapotranspiration), the bolded is guaranteed to be the case. 

17 minutes ago, Chinook said:

In a rather weird scenario, the GFS seems to be indicating a chance for lake-based rain showers on Lakes Erie and Huron after the low pressure passes on Friday. That would be strange to see lake effect at 60-65F and not 32F.

Not that unusual.  It would be more unusual to get it in the middle of summer as it's more difficult to get the proper temperature differential between the air and water.

4 hours ago, rainsucks said:

Easily would have been the warmest Sept on record if the first week had been at least average. The fact that the first 10 days were as cool as they were didn't even make much sense given the teleconnections at the time, but whatever. 

We got lucky.

37 minutes ago, Chinook said:

In a rather weird scenario, the GFS seems to be indicating a chance for lake-based rain showers on Lakes Erie and Huron after the low pressure passes on Friday. That would be strange to see lake effect at 60-65F and not 32F.

We see lake effect rain quite often in Oct/Nov. It's not rare at all. 

Fall is back!  Yesterday's high was 54, with off and on scattered showers then sun.  Cloudy and 42 this morning...Lake effect rain showers in the 'cast later today through tomorrow morning.  Woke up during the night to see the northern lights on display  Low clouds off the lake interacting with the lights and the now partially bare tree tops, gave them a very autumnal, halloween'ish look.

Very typical up and down fall weather in the forecast.  

8 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Fall is back!  Yesterday's high was 54, with off and on scattered showers then sun.  Cloudy and 42 this morning...Lake effect rain showers in the 'cast later today through tomorrow morning.  Woke up during the night to see the northern lights on display  Low clouds off the lake interacting with the lights and the now partially bare tree tops, gave them a very autumnal, halloween'ish look.

Very typical up and down fall weather in the forecast.  

Glad you got to see the northern lights.  A pale green sky, on Halloween night. It must be ghosts. They have escaped from the Ghostbusters containment unit in New York.

On 8/28/2017 at 2:00 PM, rainsucks said:

CFS just keeps trending warmer and warmer for Sept, weird.

On 8/28/2017 at 6:15 PM, rainsucks said:

Models have overdone cold shots since 2010, when will people learn that...

I just can't see this "cold shot" being that extreme now that the NAO is shifting to positive. It just wouldn't make sense to see a cool September this year unless teleconnections don't matter anymore.

On 8/29/2017 at 11:41 AM, scud said:

September will be warm...

On 9/8/2017 at 7:13 AM, IWXwx said:

LOL

tmax7dydev.png

610temp.new.gif

I might as well bump troll myself. I would have never have imagined September ending like it has. What a flip.

On 8/30/2017 at 10:50 AM, Spartman said:

Even the GFS had some 90s popping out at times during July. Either way, those days were just reserved for next Summer or the year after.

Dayton had two days of 90° in September, although did get 89'd three times.

(Had to troll someone beside myself)

Archived