SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September 2017 Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work outside.... I'm sweating my ass off right now. 

I'm not paying money at hotels and dropping cash to sweat for nothing.

My wife has an annual women's conference that I join her on and during the day I walk the town and just sight-see.

I'm not going to hang out in that heat island all day sweating for no reason.

15 minutes ago, Jonger said:

My wife has an annual women's conference that I join her on and during the day I walk the town and just sight-see.

Just stay hydrated and shower at the end of the day.

I work outside too, but you don't see me complaining. Suck it up.

2 hours ago, Jonger said:

Jon, I like you and feel that you add a lot to the board, but lol.

I enjoy tracking anomalous weather, no matter whether it's hot/cold, wet/dry, so this is fun.

9 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Think we may have just had a heat burst.  Never seen one here or in person before.  Temp has shot up to 79 with very gusty southerly winds.  

Yep, it sure was a heat burst.  Temp ended up rising up to 81 shortly after 8am, and the dew dropped to 58.  Also had wind gusts up to 38mph on the station, but I'm guessing they were well over 40mph at times.  The air felt pretty warm and dry, but it was sort of odd as there were a few sprinkles coming down along with it.  Very bizarre.  Hell of a way to start the day.  Later on the temp dropped back to the low 70s, and the dew quickly rebounded.  By the time I arrived at work about 20 miles away the temp had dropped back to 72.

Here's the weather station graph.

2dvn9g4.jpg

26 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Yep, it sure was a heat burst.  Temp ended up rising up to 81 shortly after 8am, and the dew dropped to 58.  Also had wind gusts up to 38mph on the station, but I'm guessing they were well over 40mph at times.  The air felt pretty warm and dry, but it was sort of odd as there were a few sprinkles coming down along with it.  Very bizarre.  Hell of a way to start the day.  Later on the temp dropped back to the low 70s, and the dew quickly rebounded.  By the time I arrived at work about 20 miles away the temp had dropped back to 72.

Here's the weather station graph.

2dvn9g4.jpg

Somehow missed your earlier post.  Cool stuff.

4 minutes ago, Stebo said:

That cool down at the end of the month keeps getting shorter and shorter, which would match the MJO projection going into late September early October. The warmth rebuilds back in quickly after the 3-4 day cool down on the 06z GFS run.

The nice thing is that the average temp keeps dropping, so that above normal weather is much more palatable. 

Just now, Jonger said:

Where do you see this? The GFS doesn't show any dramatic warmups.

Yesterday was 21F above normal... There is nothing close to that on the long range models.

I am looking at 06z GFS at 500/850mb. Don't waste your time looking at the 2m temperatures, they are severely wrong.

Just now, Stebo said:

I am looking at 06z GFS at 500/850mb. Don't waste your time looking at the 2m temperatures, they are severely wrong.

Looking at yesterdays 2m, they were above 8F low.

So the first few days of October, adding the 8F.... brings high temps into the upper 70's. Which is still like 10F above normal for high temps.

8 minutes ago, Stebo said:

That cool down at the end of the month keeps getting shorter and shorter, which would match the MJO projection going into late September early October. The warmth rebuilds back in quickly after the 3-4 day cool down on the 06z GFS run.

It wouldn't be all that surprising to see more warmth after the cool down.  Some of the past years that had hot stretches in latter September saw warmth come back in October (80s)

Just now, Jonger said:

You hope. Most people don't.

I hate losing out on our best weather of the year. Usually mid Sept till late October is the most enjoyable weather. The leaves change and the crisp air is refreshing.

Heat waves just waste those days.

Okay, I will look at this meteorologically, you can wishcast.

Just now, Chicago Storm said:

Jonger has nothing to complain about given there was a lack of prolonged hot/humid days this summer.

I like normal weather.

All year.

I don't live here for 94F days. So the few there are, I complain and I always will.

I don't expect anyone to be excited for -15F daily highes anymore than 95F ones.

Archived