Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2017 Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I wonder if MDW got hit by a dust devil or something.  :P That is a pretty random gust of 38 mph given all the other obs

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/getobext.php?sid=KMDW

Was that an outflow? There were a couple of cells move through the area a little later and it happened later in the evening in IND's CWA. From NWSChat:

"The TDWR capturing the outflow these storms have thrown out pretty nicely. Seeing 30-35mph winds in a narrow band with the outflow. Crawfordsville AWOS station supported that with a 34mph gust when it passed."

BTW, IND got 89'd yesterday.

39 for a low this morning.  Summer returns later in the week.  I'm enjoying it now, but come October it will be completely unacceptable.

From midnight on last night the northern lights were out.  I could see them dancing around from my bedroom window... no moonlight to interfere was nice as well.

5 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Was that an outflow? There were a couple of cells move through the area a little later and it happened later in the evening in IND's CWA. From NWSChat:

"The TDWR capturing the outflow these storms have thrown out pretty nicely. Seeing 30-35mph winds in a narrow band with the outflow. Crawfordsville AWOS station supported that with a 34mph gust when it passed."

BTW, IND got 89'd yesterday.

Not sure.  I didn't think there was much going on around Midway at the time.  Also would've thought there would be a sharper change in wind direction that accompanied the gusts.  

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Starting Wed it looks like we have a 5 day string of upper 80s to near 90 degree temps with dews in the 60s.  Gonna feel more like July than late September.  May get some rain this evening although the HRRR isn't too encouraging.

One thing is for sure... it will be on a diminishing trend as it heads north/east, whether it happens in time for your area or mine.

14 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

The 17z and 18z HRRR runs gave both of us some hope.  Hope trends continue. :guitar:

True.  The 18z RAP and 3 km NAM are a lot less hopeful for significant rain into my area.  Wait and see I guess. It's easy to lean pessimistic when significant rain has been hard to come by.

3 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah radar is looking pretty meh.  On the plus side just had a shower pass over and drop 0.01"  Up to 0.02" for September lol.

Here's the 22z run.  Ignoring specific amounts, will it even get the corridor of better rains (basically I-80) correct?  I'm not even sure about that.

HRRRCHI_prec_precacc_018.png.be6bee19e35809c46ce949f8253c1f90.png

25 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Here's the 22z run.  Ignoring specific amounts, will it even get the corridor of better rains (basically I-80) correct?  I'm not even sure about that.

HRRRCHI_prec_precacc_018.png.be6bee19e35809c46ce949f8253c1f90.png

Yeah that looks off.  Looking at the radar loop it looks like some pretty respectable rains should fall from Peoria northeastward towards your area if trends continue.  Nice area of rain with embedded thunderstorms coming out of west-central IL.

34 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah that looks off.  Looking at the radar loop it looks like some pretty respectable rains should fall from Peoria northeastward towards your area if trends continue.  Nice area of rain with embedded thunderstorms coming out of west-central IL.

23z run.  El oh El

HRRRCHI_prec_precacc_018.png.56bdc08a07339555bf4449bf88a0921f.png

Tiny cell on the back end of the departing mass of precip just popped up at the perfect time to give us a good downpour that dropped 0.30" in about 5 minutes.  0.39" for the night now, so this ended up being a decent event after all.  Should get the grass greening up and growing again.  Feeling fairly fortunate here since other areas nearby got screwed tonight and will remain bone dry.

35 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Tiny cell on the back end of the departing mass of precip just popped up at the perfect time to give us a good downpour that dropped 0.30" in about 5 minutes.  0.39" for the night now, so this ended up being a decent event after all.  Should get the grass greening up and growing again.  Feeling fairly fortunate here since other areas nearby got screwed tonight and will remain bone dry.

Already .75" at ARR.

A few days ago, it was looking promising for a more active, wetter, pattern.  Now, with Jose and Maria hanging out over the west Atlantic for the next week plus, much of the rain has been removed/pushed back west into the plains.  This morning's GFS and euro suggest we may be lucky to get a half inch over the next ten days.

Archived