Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September 2017 Discussion

snowlover2

11 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Wow you like to drive! For the first 4 years I commuted from wyandotte to Southgate, the last 3 it's wyandotte to Farmington hills, so I drive a lot more now.

I'm sure Stebo can attest that there's something about the peacefulness of road trips. It feels good to explore areas outside of your backyard at your own leisure (whereas on a plane or train or bus, you're bound by their schedule & procedures) while simultaneously not having to worry about fighting a bunch of traffic or getting to/from work at a certain time. 

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Had some very dense fog to start the day, but it was shallow and burned off quickly.  Made it up to 84, which is the warmest temp since Aug 10th (86).  MLI hit 86.  

Should make a run at 90 tomorrow and Sat.

MLI may get pretty close to Saturday's record, which is only 92.

17 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Would like to see more of a southwesterly component to the wind, but I guess we'll see.  

Reasonable concern, especially in mid September when there's less margin for error compared to earlier.  Though DSM managed 92 with mostly due southerly flow this afternoon.  

Safe bet would be a degree or two short on that record, but we'll see.

4 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Grass has gone brown/dormant here too with the dry conditions. It should help warmer temps work out in the coming days though.

f34cdb84111daf39aec02b323591df14.jpg

I hate it when grass crunches when you walk on it. Same conditions here. We are in the yellow here also. Could use a little moisture before the farmers get in the bean fields or field fires might become a concern.

3 hours ago, Powerball said:

I'm sure Stebo can attest that there's something about the peacefulness of road trips. It feels good to explore areas outside of your backyard at your own leisure (whereas on a plane or train or bus, you're bound by their schedule & procedures) while simultaneously not having to worry about fighting a bunch of traffic or getting to/from work at a certain time. 

Oh I LOVE road trips, especially north. I just get tired of rush hour 5 days a week.

1 minute ago, bowtie` said:

I hate it when grass crunches when you walk on it. Same conditions here. We are in the yellow here also. Could use a little moisture before the farmers get in the bean fields or field fires might become a concern.

Our grass is green. Complete swap from early summer when we were dry and Chicago was emerald green.

16 hours ago, Powerball said:

Yep, downloaded a bunch of podcasts before I left and enjoyed the open road. Best part, with it being off season already traffic was great, nothing was crowded and hotel rates were lower.

7 minutes ago, snowlover2 said:

It will probably be brought up so might as well get it out there. 12z GFS fantasy land showing a pretty deep trough. 540 line makes it to IN/OH and 850mb 0 degree line at one point gets down to I-70 in Ohio. We all know that will change though.

Say it ain't so.

In general, it does look like we will back off the above/much above average pattern around the end of the month, but magnitude of the cooldown obviously remains to be seen.

May not be the case everywhere but temps are overshooting virtually all guidance from last night around Chicago.  Model 2m temps/MOS were clustered around 83-84 for a high, and it's 85 with some warming left to go.  HRRR from last night seems like it caught onto the potential to overachieve.

1 hour ago, snowlover2 said:

It will probably be brought up so might as well get it out there. 12z GFS fantasy land showing a pretty deep trough. 540 line makes it to IN/OH and 850mb 0 degree line at one point gets down to I-70 in Ohio. We all know that will change though.

Nah, the pattern we're in right now is going to lock in for a long time. 

And lol @ anyone bringing up what the OP GFS is showing at hour 384.

21 minutes ago, rainsucks said:

Not realistic to maintain 10-15 degree above average readings indefinitely. There's support for a cool down (this doesn't have to mean the freezer) around the end of the month, whether you want to look at the Euro weeklies, CFS weeklies, etc.  Maybe it gets delayed, but in any case, refer to first sentence.

Can't say I buy 100% into the posted 90 degree highs tomorrow. It is pretty try outside, so it has that in its favor, however the NAM and especially the GFS have become increasingly aggressive bringing in cloud debris and possible showers into east central Iowa by 18z lasting thru 21z. If such a scenario occurs, it is quite possible we only make it to the mid-upper 80s clouds depending.

45 minutes ago, rainsucks said:

Well I did say it was in fantasy land and there is no reason to believe it now but if it's still there inside of 180 hours then i'll believe it more. It's not impossible to cool down that much. I've seen snowflakes fly here as early as mid October. After all it is getting to be that time of the year.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Not realistic to maintain 10-15 degree above average readings indefinitely. There's support for a cool down (this doesn't have to mean the freezer) around the end of the month, whether you want to look at the Euro weeklies, CFS weeklies, etc.  Maybe it gets delayed, but in any case, refer to first sentence.

You do realize he is mostly trolling anyway when he says that.

It will be interesting to see how much warmer Chicago gets than Detroit. The models clearly favor the western sub for the warmest temps.

I think ORD has a shot at 90 tomorrow. Don't have very high confidence at this point, but should have at least a little warmer starting point in the morning compared to today and there's some suggestion on forecast soundings of slightly deeper mixing than what occurred today.  It should be close either way.  Very real possibility they get 89'd.  If 90 occurs, it would have some significance as ORD has had 90+ in the back half of September only 3 times in the past 30 years - 1988, 1998, 2007.  Guess what?  All 3 of those years were in or had a developing La Nina.

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I think ORD has a shot at 90 tomorrow. Don't have very high confidence at this point, but should have at least a little warmer starting point in the morning compared to today and there's some suggestion on forecast soundings of slightly deeper mixing than what occurred today.  It should be close either way.  Very real possibility they get 89'd.  If 90 occurs, it would have some significance as ORD has had 90+ in the back half of September only 3 times in the past 30 years - 1988, 1998, 2007.  Guess what?  All 3 of those years were in or had a developing La Nina.

Not a record but 2010 also hit 90 at DTW on 21st another developing La Nina, though that one was a bit more established by that point.

DTW squeaked a high of 80 yesterday, just the 2nd 80 in the first half of September. It only missed the record by 20 degrees :lol:. The record high was an astounding 100F in 1939. Today's record, also from 1939, is 98F. A cool first half of Sept will be followed by a warm 2nd half. But after today, records fall to the low 90s and upper 80s for the remainder of the month. Autumn is encroaching fast, as if we couldn't tell from the abundance of tree color already!

7 hours ago, rainsucks said:

LOT's long term AFD made no sense...

Temps are going to be in the mid 80s easy during that stretch, that's like 15 degrees above normal. Hardly seasonal to "slightly above" normal. What has this forecaster been smoking? 

There are LOT forecasters who hang around this board.  You might want to express your disagreements a little better.  If you look at their forecast for ORD, they have upper 70s on Mon/Tue and low 80s after that.  Current average high is 75.  imo, their numbers are too low, especially beyond early week, which would tend to put things into a higher category than just "slightly above."  There should be periodic chances of showers/storms (or at least clouds), which could hold back the potential some on a given day if poorly timed.

Archived