Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2017 Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

I hate the look of the next 10+ days around here. I may be paranoid, but the complete lack of precip through most of the period concerns me. Not really in the mood for drought conditions to expand into E IA. Although September usually seems fairly dry, so maybe climo will mitigate some of the effects of this dryer spell.

Kind of sucks tomorrow's action skips right over us and hits to the east lol.

On 9/3/2017 at 0:51 AM, NWLinnCountyIA said:

I hate the look of the next 10+ days around here. I may be paranoid, but the complete lack of precip through most of the period concerns me. Not really in the mood for drought conditions to expand into E IA. Although September usually seems fairly dry, so maybe climo will mitigate some of the effects of this dryer spell.

We received 1.25" of rain in August, and may not get any during the first half of September.  Last year I recorded 7.17" in August and 7.16" in September.  I'm hoping this means winter will also be the opposite of last year.

Thick wildfire smoke definitely made for a darker day, especially when combined with the cloud deck earlier.

Smoke never visibly made it to the surface, but the odor was present across the area from time to time. Nice red/orange around the sun for a while as well, though it's too thick for a nice sunset.

4 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Thick wildfire smoke definitely made for a darker day, especially when combined with the cloud deck earlier.

Smoke never visibly made it to the surface, but the odor was present across the area from time to time. Nice red/orange around the sun for a while as well, though it's too thick for a nice sunset.

I definitely smelled it earlier.

I haven't heard this used in a long time:

Main trough over the area Wednesday along with several smaller 
scale short waves and lake enhancement. This should keep scattered
to numerous showers across the northwest in the morning with slow
expansion east away from lake as trough slides east along with 
diurnal heating. Steep mid level lapse rates and a few hundred 
J/kg of instability will be enough to support a few stronger 
updrafts and thunder potential. 500mb temps drop to -23C with 
surface dewpoints in the lower 50s. This brings old school but 
reliable 50/20 rule into play which would support up to three 
quarter inch hail with any thunderstorm. Brief heavy downpours 
also possible as these early season lake enhanced events with 
strong synoptic influence often produce some efficient rainfall 
rates. With thermal trough in place and expected mostly cloudy 
skies...temperatures will be slow to moderate during the day and 
may struggle to reach 60 in some locations. 

10 hours ago, iluvsnow said:

Acrid smell of smoke definitely in the air this morning (Tuesday) in the Dayton area. In fact a black, feathery piece of ash dropped into our pool as I was cleaning it. The sky is an eerie yellow orange.

Yep. Car left out overnight had some junk on it even after the storms rolled through. Wilmington Pk and 675 here.

On 8/28/2017 at 6:15 PM, rainsucks said:

Models have overdone cold shots since 2010, when will people learn that...

I just can't see this "cold shot" being that extreme now that the NAO is shifting to positive. It just wouldn't make sense to see a cool September this year unless teleconnections don't matter anymore.

On 8/29/2017 at 11:41 AM, scud said:

September will be warm...

LOL

tmax7dydev.png

610temp.new.gif

Last few mornings have been spent in the mid to upper 40’s definitely chilly out there, feels wonderful though. This “cold snap” has really aided to the browning of the corn, and beans, harvest is coming up! 

Moderate drought creeping u in central Illinois, including parts of Champaign County. We need rain. 

Archived