Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mackerel_sky said:

It's awesome outside ! Winds ripping out of the NE, milky clouds getting thicker, if it was 40 degrees colder , I'd be waiting on my 34 degrees and rain storm! :(

On an Irma note, with the southern eyewall getting raggedy, all the strongest winds and rains are on the N/ NE side, that's why the crazy gusts and rains have NGa/W upstate in their sights!

Yeah it feels great!  Those models busted hard with the RI stuff, just like the do showing snow for us in winter.

So this is a dumb question, but hitting the Keys counts as an official US landfall, right?

2 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Yeah it feels great!  Those models busted hard with the RI stuff, just like the do showing snow for us in winter.

So this is a dumb question, but hitting the Keys counts as an official US landfall, right?

Yes! First time in history , I think, that two cat 4's have hit the US in 1 season!

Just now, Cold Rain said:

Yes it officially landfalled on the Keys.....and will again somewhere on Florida SW coast....

Just now, mackerel_sky said:

Yes! First time in history , I think, that two cat 4's have hit the US in 1 season!

This isnt a Cat 4 at all.....when they go back and look at it it will be a Cat 3 and then only barely....widespread Cat 1 conditions with a very small area of Cat 3 conditions MAYBE on the east side....

2 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Oops! My bad!

Its definitely moving NNW now! Paralleling the FL coastline!

Yeah if Irma was a superhero her special ability would be to avoid land lol....still she will drag the eastern side right up the coast and it will basically do the same as Cuba did....sucks for the Naples/Ft Myers area, they really want a east wobble here soon....

11 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

This isnt a Cat 4 at all.....when they go back and look at it it will be a Cat 3 and then only barely....widespread Cat 1 conditions with a very small area of Cat 3 conditions MAYBE on the east side....

I don't know, both eyewall drops on this recon mission had winds supporting cat 4 at some point in the drop (1 on surface (129kts), both above surface (141kts and 137kts)). In addition I think there was a 121kt FL wind near landfall and a 110kt SFMR (admittedly questionable) near landfall. And I mean there weren't many reporting stations in the max winds so getting a 120mph gust measurement on the north side of an island isn't particularly unusual for a 130mph landfall. I think there's enough evidence although I'll agree it's a relatively small area with the highest winds and Irma has been unable to get those winds to the surface most of the time.

Just now, Dunkman said:

I don't know, both eyewall drops on this recon mission had winds supporting cat 4 at some point in the drop (1 on surface, both above surface). In addition I think there was a 121kt FL wind near landfall and a 110kt SFMR (admittedly questionable) near landfall. And I mean there weren't many reporting stations in the max winds so getting a 120mph gust measurement on the north side of an island isn't particularly unusual for a 130mph landfall. I think there's enough evidence although I'll agree it's a relatively small area with the highest winds and Irma has been unable to get those winds to the surface most of the time.

In Isabel I was in the SW eyewall, the plane in the storm had FL winds over me in the 120knt range we peaked gusted to 55 mph in Isabel....

This was the best uncontaminated drop for the surface I could find so far...so Cat 3 for sure but the one I saw for 140+ mph at the surface was suspect...which wouldnt qualify it for a Cat 4. Guess it will all shake out in the after action reports....its really not going to matter to the Naples area what we call it huh....should be bad there

Time:    13:38:00Z
Coordinates:    24.833N 81.350W
Acft. Static Air Press:    697.8 mb
Acft. Geopotential Hgt:    2,599 m (8,527 ft)
Extrap. Sfc. Press:    940.0 mb (27.76 inHg)
Flt. Lvl. Wind (30s):    From 158° at 82 kts (From the SSE at 94.4 mph)
Air Temp:    15.4°C* (59.7°F*)
Dew Pt:    -*
Peak (10s) Flt. Lvl. Wind:    90 kts (103.6 mph)
SFMR Peak (10s) Sfc. Wind:    105 kts (120.8 mph)
SFMR Rain Rate:    29 mm/hr (1.14 in/hr)

33 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Breaking Irma news: Kenny Chesney's house was destroyed by Irma on the US Virgin Islands ! :(

Winds gusting to around 30mph already here!

Watch for flurries later, when that cold HP pushes Irma west of you!!!  Be careful Mack, You might get a Tornado for real !  Keep us posted way up here in the northern parts.......... 

4 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

looking at radar etc you would never guess that was the center of a 934 mb storm.....

She's deep man.  Presentation isn't going to matter inland.  That low pressure and size of her windfield spells big trouble for downed trees.  I had 60mph sustained winds with a gust over 80 in Opal.  I don't quite see that here but the 35-45mph sustained with gusts to close to 65-70 is still going to cause a lot of damage to trees inland. 

3 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

She's deep man.  Presentation isn't going to matter inland.  That low pressure and size of her windfield spells big trouble for downed trees.  I had 60mph sustained winds with a gust over 80 in Opal.  I don't quite see that here but the 35-45mph sustained with gusts to close to 65-70 is still going to cause a lot of damage to trees inland. 

What worries me is those winds are coming in on the heels of an extended, significant drought followed by a wet spring/summer, and we haven't had any major storms/ice storms to take down the weak trees in years. They can handle a few gusts to 50-60MPH, but multiple hours of that? 

18 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Live chaser cam from Marco Island should get some winds 90-100 sustained gusting to 110-120 possible...

http://www.severestudios.com/livechase/

Yea I've been thinking for a while it's gonna go right over Marco or to the east at Dismal.  Still generally heading northward more than west.  Just over 81.7 or so now but general movement has been wobbling around 81.5 all day.   It DOES look like its maybe starting more westward?

BaXDgLF.png

Looks like the western eyewall might be onshore by the time this is up by Cape Coral.....luckily the worst of the surge to the east of the center was in mostly wetlands with few if any people/structures....backside of Marco Island probably getting hit hard with surge now though......further up the coast the offshore winds is blowing everything out and hopefully since the backside is pretty weak there wont be a huge surge further north. 

2 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Looks like the western eyewall might be onshore by the time this is up by Cape Coral.....luckily the worst of the surge to the east of the center was in mostly wetlands with few if any people/structures....backside of Marco Island probably getting hit hard with surge now though......further up the coast the offshore winds is blowing everything out and hopefully since the backside is pretty weak there wont be a huge surge further north. 

How wide is the eye? It's hard for me to tell looking at the radar images on my phone.  I'm trying to get an idea of how close to my house this is going to end up being.

Archived