Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 10below said:

That would be awesome! Kill the monster! 

I dunno about killing her but this long track just off the coast to almost a landfall on Cuba and keeping her a 4 the entire time might be iffy...the waters are warm but having a large island just south of the track will IMO have a impact. If it follows the NHC track the center will only be very close to Cuba for 24 hrs....

6 minutes ago, 10below said:

:D Got eeem!

That rain Wednesday want help the over seeding out this weekend. Atleast thats why I was hopefull for an inch or 2 Tuesday. 

Be very interested to see if this gets sub 900 as it hits land somewhere keys/south Florida. Wonder if cantore is brave enough to roll the cameras down to key west this weekend?

And hope everyone enjoys the early cool weather we are having and the cad early next week. Big rumblings of La Nina this winter. Sure thats what all the snowfreaks like myself on here wanted to hear.

Cloud tops are warming up across the entire CDO, she is doing a ERC but in this image you can see the the inflow from the south is coming right over the end of Cuba and that entire end is pretty hilly and includes a mt chain up to 6K ft high....will be interesting to see how/if it affected her.

rbtop0.gif.e73f3e28e5f060b9b4660d10f729cefa.gif

Crazy how the entire CDO warmed almost at the same time....bad news is she probably is expanding her wind field...

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/11L/flash-rbtop-long.html

4 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Cloud tops are warming up across the entire CDO, she is doing a ERC but in this image you can see the the inflow from the south is coming right over the end of Cuba and that entire end is pretty hilly and includes a mt chain up to 6K ft high....will be interesting to see how/if it affected her.

rbtop0.gif.e73f3e28e5f060b9b4660d10f729cefa.gif

Crazy how the entire CDO warmed almost at the same time....bad news is she probably is expanding her wind field...

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/11L/flash-rbtop-long.html

How longs do these EWRCs last?

Just now, MikeB_01 said:

How longs do these EWRCs last?

,It varies....this one is pretty much done the inner eyewall has eroded and the new wider eyewall has to tighten up, if it does then she will go bonkers....she has been trying to do this ERC for the last 24 hrs it took her a while this time around earlier in her life she was popping them out 2-3 times a day....this was the first one in a long time...

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/mimtc/2017_11L/web/basicGifDisplay.html 

4 minutes ago, FLweather said:

I doubt it's EWRC. Given what you just said and topography of that area. With the inflow coming up and over the mountains... That more than likely is downsloping. Causing the clouds to warm and ragged eyewall.

well it has definitely just completed or is completing a ERC and that will cause it to weaken some...however there does appear to be pretty good gulp of dry air in the center but she should be able to mix it out...but if she keeps bringing in dryer air and the southern half of her circulation is over Cuba for 20-24 hrs it could hurt her more than the NHC forecast, hopefully that is the case. 

11 minutes ago, FLweather said:

I doubt it's EWRC. Given what you just said and topography of that area. With the inflow coming up and over the mountains... That more than likely is downsloping. Causing the clouds to warm and ragged eyewall.

It has definitely gone thru an EWRC.  The inner eyewall is dying off now.

7Q7VJv4.gif

59 minutes ago, StormyClearweather said:

I got nearly 2.5 inches with the cold front the other day. I didn't realize y'all were in a shetley drought just a few miles to my south. :P

same in Taylors. I typical want no part of tropical storm rains. I still remember Jerry back in 1995...many parts of Greenville were flooded, including my home.

2 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

The eye is currently just shy of 1 degree of longitude wide -- or almost the entire width of the southern tip of Florida. To put things in perspective, that is.Worst winds are likely to be in a band about 20 miles in thickness around that (little wider on the right and a little thinner on the left).

This is a sobering thought :( 

Grit with the good graphic.  These ERCs can be quite pesky.  They tend to last longer than we think they will.  Dry air also usually takes longer to mix out than we think it will.  With most of the guidance now aligned keeping her close to Cuba for a time, I am reticent to believe the rapid reintensification that the models are showing, prior to landfall in FL.  Enough dry air might be ingested, along with a possible subsequent ERC, to keep her out of the Cat 5 tranche (with maybe low end Cat 4 being the upper limit?).

My final call is landfall between Cape Sable and Cape Romano and winds of 140 mph, with the greatest margin of error being slightly stronger and slightly farther west (maybe not even striking lower FL).

1 hour ago, StormyClearweather said:

I got nearly 2.5 inches with the cold front the other day. I didn't realize y'all were in a shetley drought just a few miles to my south. :P

I got 3+ combined Tuesday and Wed also. But that's the first rainfall over an inch imby since June! And long stretches, 10-15 days with heat and no rain and pop up storms! I'd get 0 , while all around me would get 1-3 from the storms! 

That wind map from the GFS tho! Moving way into GA and ATL, still has 60-80 mph gusts around me!! :(

Archived