Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, WidreMann said:

I buy it. What's the pull it that far north? There is ridging to the east, and no real trough over the eastern US, just a weakness over the south. It's going to go into that and die. The question isn't how far east, but how far west. It's always been that. The more easterly runs just had less pull with that feature. Tweaks, if you will.

I  dunno thats a pretty decent trough over the eastern US...hell look at the outflow of Katia getting sucked into the base of it....

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-wv.html

It doesn't look at all like the NAM. The NAM had a much strong NE trough and it had much further east at this point. The models will deviate some each run, but there's no big fundamental differences. It's like waiting for an OTS storm in the winter to trend west. It's only going to change so much in the short term, with some rare exceptions.

3 minutes ago, senc30 said:

When I put it against the 18Z it is slightly east of the 18Z. I'm not saying 100 miles but it is east by a little 

I do actually think it's meaningfully different with a more NNE movement between 60 and 66. But before that it was just noise, and not just the storm track but also the trough. They were both almost identical. But it's very similar to 18z and still meaningfully west from the 12z and earlier GFS runs.

Archived