Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Still the NW push inland after Carolinas landfall !?

Thats not gonna change probably, the high dropping down is well modeled....the where exactly Irma turns is still up for grabs, this is why how and where she turns north matters, also the trough timing the faster the trough slips offshore the sooner the high can build in or vice versa....that why you see the runs move every time they run....they play it a little different every time and thus we get different results....basically the sooner Irma turns to the N/NE the farther up the coast she will get....but at some point she will have to move back NW as the high blocks her escape....how quick or sharp that is depends on the high and its placement/strength etc....again there a lot of things the models are trying to figure out and how they all interact will ultimately decide where Irma goes...

Just now, LithiaWx said:

If I were in the SW NC mtns I'd be ready for some hurricane force gusts at elevation above 3-4K feet.   You and snojoe need to watch this situation carefully.  

Yeah I was thinking about that earlier when Lookout was posting about elevation. Sea level wind is one thing but when you get into 3, 4, 5, thousand feet elevation it becomes a totally different beast. If this books it inland into our area things will go down hill quickly. 

19 minutes ago, NC_hailstorm said:

Storm isn't moving much between 120-138,in SC for about 18 hours until it gets up to about Brevard at a weakened 992mb.

Nothing like Hugo in forward motion,that went through there in 6 or 7 hours with fast forward motion.

Yep Hugo comparisons I get from angle,landfall point, strength. But Hugo like Hazel back in the day for NC was booking it. Makes a world of difference in wind effects way inland from  a wind standpoint.

20 minutes ago, NC_hailstorm said:

Storm isn't moving much between 120-138,in SC for about 18 hours until it gets up to about Brevard at a weakened 992mb.

Nothing like Hugo in forward motion,that went through there in 6 or 7 hours with fast forward motion.

Hugo went from Charleston to Hickory in 9 hours.

90KiTUB.gif

5 minutes ago, gman said:

Exciting? No, this is a serious storm. Lives are at stake. 

Irma will do what she's going to do no matter how many weenies wish the worst.  Personally I find Irma very exciting.  She's not a common beast.  Lots to learn and lots of disaster potential. 

On another note : she has to be close to setting some ace records.  

Just now, gman said:

Exciting? No, this is a serious storm. Lives are at stake. 

Doesn't make it any less exciting. Wanting it to hit or not wanting it to hit won't make a difference. Realizing that this is a once-in-a-generation event that we're getting to witness is exciting and amazing for nerds like me. 

Anyway, ensembles unsurprisingly shifted a bit east. Mean landfall is near Charleston.

1 hour ago, downeastnc said:

Thats not gonna change probably, the high dropping down is well modeled....the where exactly Irma turns is still up for grabs, this is why how and where she turns north matters, also the trough timing the faster the trough slips offshore the sooner the high can build in or vice versa....that why you see the runs move every time they run....they play it a little different every time and thus we get different results....basically the sooner Irma turns to the N/NE the farther up the coast she will get....but at some point she will have to move back NW as the high blocks her escape....how quick or sharp that is depends on the high and its placement/strength etc....again there a lot of things the models are trying to figure out and how they all interact will ultimately decide where Irma goes...

Due to this high, can we be reasonably certain that any trend NE would be limited? I'm asking because it seems like so many of these storms end up trending further to the East at the last minute. It's also why NC has been hit so many times in recent history as opposed to SC/GA.

Is the OTS scenario a pipe dream at this point?

44 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Irma will do what she's going to do no matter how many weenies wish the worst.  Personally I find Irma very exciting.  She's not a common beast.  Lots to learn and lots of disaster potential. 

On another note : she has to be close to setting some ace records.  

Irma set the record for 24 hour ACE in the Atlantic yesterday. There may be more that's the one I know of. Hell will probably break her own record today.

Also I think it's important to note that in most hurricanes those wind speeds at elevation would not be representative of surface winds. However, Irma has absolutely demonstrated over the last couple days that it is mixing the strongest winds right down to the surface. I still can't believe the 161kt dropsonde, I don't remember seeing anything close to that on a drop before.

Archived