Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

1 minute ago, downeastnc said:

Its crazy it went from 50 to 140 then back down to 50....thats one hell of a gust....that NE side is doing some scary stuff ....hopefully the reading was faulty and they really didnt hit that speed.

:lol:  I know right?! That was nuts! I do believe it was real :( 

Winds are starting to pick up here just a tad  

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Wasnt there a run or two on a few models that took her kinda NE across  FL after a SW Florida landfall then up to SC a couple of days ago....

Edit: i think it was the nam just trying to find it to see how the H5 in those runs compared to right now....

I think the UKMET and Euro did it a few days ago.

2 minutes ago, Wow said:

She's definitely moving just east of north per the radar

Sure looks like it huh, at least a wooble that way....would be something if she scooted across and got close to the east coast of Florida..... it would really drive the surge and onshore winds up even more over there...still at this point its just evens out the west wobbles...she is on track for the center to miss Tampa by a good 30-50 miles though...

1 hour ago, downeastnc said:

Wasnt there a run or two on a few models that took her kinda NE across  FL after a SW Florida landfall then up to SC a couple of days ago....

Edit: i think it was the nam just trying to find it to see how the H5 in those runs compared to right now....

The 09/00Z Run of the GFS did as well.  SW Fla landfall then moving more Northerly to just west of JAX before turning NW/WNW

3 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Pretty much went right over you, you were in the west eyewall.....but the worst stayed to your east a few miles probably....still you had to have had gust well into the 80-90mph range...

My house was built to handle 140ish, so I'm going to guess it made it just fine.

Starting to wonder if she might get closer to the east coast Florida....the high to the north seems a little slower, the WV loop of the US is pretty amazing to see how tricky the setup really is.....

In several TS and hurricanes as the centers got inland over NC dry air working into the system would cause really big gust often way higher than the sustained wind, it would go from 20-35 to 60-70 or higher in gust and the gust where more downdraft like instead of the normal "sideways" wind in a proper hurricane core....Bertha was especially bad after the center passed ( this was after the normal backside ) we had a period a hr or so later for 30-45 mins where the winds kicked back up....same with Hurricane Charley his front side was 30-35 in gust, once on the backside though we had some sharp 50-55 mph gust for maybe 20-30 mins then it was over...was very odd. I think you will see the same thing in Florida, the sustained winds might only be 30-50 but gust might go 100.....

quick question, hoping somewhere here can help...my brother just called from golden gate middle school in golden gate city very near naples, saying they were just told by eoc to expect 6-9 ft of water there. hes LEO collier county so im thinking hes probably got good intel but he asked if anyone else could give thoughts

1 hour ago, downeastnc said:

Starting to wonder if she might get closer to the east coast Florida....the high to the north seems a little slower, the WV loop of the US is pretty amazing to see how tricky the setup really is.....

In several TS and hurricanes as the centers got inland over NC dry air working into the system would cause really big gust often way higher than the sustained wind, it would go from 20-35 to 60-70 or higher in gust and the gust where more downdraft like instead of the normal "sideways" wind in a proper hurricane core....Bertha was especially bad after the center passed ( this was after the normal backside ) we had a period a hr or so later for 30-45 mins where the winds kicked back up....same with Hurricane Charley his front side was 30-35 in gust, once on the backside though we had some sharp 50-55 mph gust for maybe 20-30 mins then it was over...was very odd. I think you will see the same thing in Florida, the sustained winds might only be 30-50 but gust might go 100.....

This thing is so far off track I'm starting to wonder if CLP5 is gonna verify.  That's a nuts statement to make, but wth..

47 minutes ago, rowjimmy73 said:

quick question, hoping somewhere here can help...my brother just called from golden gate middle school in golden gate city very near naples, saying they were just told by eoc to expect 6-9 ft of water there. hes LEO collier county so im thinking hes probably got good intel but he asked if anyone else could give thoughts

https://tidesonline.nos.noaa.gov/

Naples (generally) looks to have already peaked, perhaps.

7obSMLW.png

28 minutes ago, oconeexman said:

Gonna be an interesting day to say the least! Winds been steady since yesterday morning 15-20 and are bound to pick up shortly.

I don't know, I'm beginning to wonder.....I'm 2 hours southwest of you and nothing here but light rain....no wind to speak of other than a gentle breeze every now and then.

8 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Those damn winds that set up over me and Lookout, all way to ATL look very concerning for tonmorrow ! Should be a lot of downed trees and power outages up here!

Do you have any model maps showing winds across the Upstate?  We are in Taylors, SC and I'm just curious 

Archived