Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I think the jet fuel was tainted! The take off to cat 4-5, is crashing and burning, like the NC State football team! :)

I think the writing was on the wall when it came off of Cuba with the comma shape you usually see with NC canes and the western side of the storm was missing. Those things didn't suggest explosive strengthening.

Big Pine Key recorded a gust to 120 so thats the highest I have seen and it was in the worst of the east eyewall so that would would be good if it came in over Naples so that the east side came in over the everglades this would lessen the damage considerably....

Then a track inland should help limit the damage to the west coast as her left side is garbage.....up the east coast to GA though onshore flow is gonna produce widespread hurricane gust I bet....will be interesting to see how bad it is inland north of say Orlando if she tracks onshore....

3 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Big Pine Key recorded a gust to 120 so thats the highest I have seen and it was in the worst of the east eyewall so that would would be good if it came in over Naples so that the east side came in over the everglades this would lessen the damage considerably....

Then a track inland should help limit the damage to the west coast as her left side is garbage.....up the east coast to GA though onshore flow is gonna produce widespread hurricane gust I bet....will be interesting to see how bad it is inland north of say Orlando if she tracks onshore....

The highest gust I've seen from Key West was 91 whereas Miami has gusted to 94. Really goes to show how weak the west side is.

2 minutes ago, Wow said:

Looks like a due north track now and currently east of official track.  Could see a trend back east until the cutoff UL starts to engage it.

Everglades City is gonna get hammered....the west side is crap....so a east jog would really help Marco Island up to Ft Myers.....there is nothing in south central Florida south of Lake Okeechobee but farms and small towns....while it would suck for them it would let the worst winds in the eastern eyewall slow down some before it got north over more populated areas....

13 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

Next recon fix should help but it looks like west of due north to me for the last hour on radar.

Yep she's still wobbling around like a drunk sailor, but fairly clear due north right now is the result,midline between 82 & 81  has been the overall result.   It seems to wobble left, north, back right, blah blah, the core of the storm looks like an off-balance top.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/11L/imagery/rbtop_lalo-animated.gif

Wind already gusting to 30+ mph across N Ga. already with only daytime heating to mix the winds down.  Pressures are still rising as HP builds in.  At this rate, we'll have areas gusting to TS force with blue skies this afternoon.

Brings back childhood memories of riding my bike with the wind at my back on a beautiful day much like this the day Betsy hit New Orleans.  Been a weenie ever since LMAO.

Just now, mackerel_sky said:

I think they are done with recon flights. Read on another board. Once it landfalls, ( key west area) they stop recon flights

We were in the southwest part of the eye in Isabelle and had a high sky and calmer winds and saw a HH fly overhead and that was over greenville NC well inland. One of the coolest experiences ever.

Just now, Cold Rain said:

Gusting to 10-15 or so here in Raleigh.  Heading down to the beach today.  Supposed to be breezy there tomorrow.

It's awesome outside ! Winds ripping out of the NE, milky clouds getting thicker, if it was 40 degrees colder , I'd be waiting on my 34 degrees and rain storm! :(

On an Irma note, with the southern eyewall getting raggedy, all the strongest winds and rains are on the N/ NE side, that's why the crazy gusts and rains have NGa/W upstate in their sights!

Archived