Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I'm not even in the cone of uncertainty @ the 5pm NHC update! Always fear the NW trend! 

No doubt.  I walked away after last night knowing the triad was pretty much out of the running for anything but a few showers.  But man!  I didnt foresee such a shift west today.  You know some folks in New Orleans are thinking they have seen this dog and pony show before.  It will be interesting to see what happens if she can round the bend into the GOM.  Maybe another Charlie?

17 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

I'm still worried about that 24 hour run up to the coast. We've seen lots of storms struggle for days seemingly for little reason and finally get things sorted for substantial strengthening very quickly. Pretty much all the models had Irma steady state or struggling right now and they almost all have explosive development as it approaches Florida. 

That's a good point.  I've seen that before on modeling where they rapidly strengthen a storm that just can't get its act together.

12 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

That's a good point.  I've seen that before on modeling where they rapidly strengthen a storm that just can't get its act together.

You're definitely right, and the models start strengthening Irma seemingly while half of its circulation is still over Cuba. Which I may buy with a cat. 1 storm in a great environment like that but not a storm that's already cat. 4. I guess we'll know soon enough.

Irma struggling a bit with this dry air, she is having trouble maintaining convection....plane still finding surface winds around 140 in the NW corner, they cant fly the south side cause its in Cuban airspace...suspect they drop her to 140 mph next update, and if the center gets onshore its going to do a number on her....then the question becomes how much damage and can she recover before hitting FL. 

18 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Irma struggling a bit with this dry air, she is having trouble maintaining convection....plane still finding surface winds around 140 in the NW corner, they cant fly the south side cause its in Cuban airspace...suspect they drop her to 140 mph next update, and if the center gets onshore its going to do a number on her....then the question becomes how much damage and can she recover before hitting FL. 

I think she just needed a power nap :P   

It's kinda comical the description of her "maintaining convection" is a satellite image like this of a Cat 4 hurricane :lol: 

irma2.png.7cd2d85ca11c77b274b45d98230211cf.png

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

95% of land falling hurricanes have the most moisture and winds on the East and NE side of the eye! Even going up through Georgia , the SE fetch of the Gulf and Atlantic, will be pretty fierce !

True, it just feels a bit far away. But I'm more familiar with how it works along the South and mid Texas coast since I grew up over there.

Governor's on and it sounds like they're playing this one smart. Only barrier islands on the lower coast are being evacuated. Doing it all the way up to Charleston and including mainland areas in my opinion would be an overreaction and lead to complacency in the future with the general public.

11 minutes ago, Ser Pounce said:

True, it just feels a bit far away. But I'm more familiar with how it works along the South and mid Texas coast since I grew up over there.

Governor's on and it sounds like they're playing this one smart. Only barrier islands on the lower coast are being evacuated. Doing it all the way up to Charleston and including mainland areas in my opinion would be an overreaction and lead to complacency in the future with the general public.

That would be me then :( 

I'm not convinced enough to evacuate yet :( 

15 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

18z GEFS.  Based on this and other model guidance, there's an increasing possibility of the Tampa area getting into some part of the eyewall.  Tampa-St Pete area is home to a few million people, and they have some skyscrapers of their own...

11L_gefs_latest.thumb.png.843e49d621c79af8da1229ac66fe54b6.png

GEFS individual tracks from the main thread

7 minutes ago, NC_hailstorm said:

And what model had it going into Cuba 4 or 5 days ago?the Ukie.What I've noticed is the Ukie is very good at subtropical ridges/Bermuda high placement and strength.

Every model and every person said it was impossible but I reckon not.

Big bust for the euro and especially the gfs if this continues moving west.

Archived