Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, bigjohndc said:

The Colonial Pipeline has been fully operational for nearly two full days, refining capacity is not fully operational in the Gulf yet, but close. There are only two counties in NC reporting anything close to shortages. Now evacuees will stretch supplies in Georgia and Florida, but lets not confuse issues. Florida doesn't get any supply from the Colonial and NC specifically has been getting shipments via the Port of Wilmington. We don't need fear mongering in areas where there aren't real shortages.

Just passing along what I was told this weekend. Pipeline 1 was gonna be shut down and didnt know how long, which is the one we use for auto gas, 2 I beleive carries the diesel, jet fuel stuff. Anyway glad to hear and sounds like your in the know line 1 must be runing. It suplies like half the auto fuel on the east coast or my neck of the woods up into MA, NE.

1 hour ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Last couple of hours She has become much more symmetrical again, and pressure has dropped a little again, that can't be good. Hard to imagine a worse look for the state of Florida. Anyone know the records for most hours above 175 mph? 

As of 11AM today, Irma had 185mph winds for 37 hours, longest any cyclone around the globe has maintained that intensity on record.  Previous record was Haiyan in the W Pacific at 24 hours.  And as of 5PM, Irma had been a CAT 5 storm for 66 consecutive hours.  Satellite era (1966) record for Atlantic was 42 hours (Hurricanes Mitch and David).  Info from @philklotzbach.  

Irma is going to have one heck of a storm surge given the strong winds, long build up of waters, and large size.

2 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Just passing along what I was told this weekend. Pipeline 1 was gonna be shut down and didnt know how long, which is the one we use for auto gas, 2 I beleive carries the diesel, jet fuel stuff. Anyway glad to hear and sounds like your in the know line 1 must be runing. It suplex like half the auto fuel on the east coast or my neck of the woods up into MA, NE.

Some of that was true over the weekend not now, but the post you quoted was from August 31st its September 7th. Just so you know Randolph County is reporting no public or public safety shortages.

The frustration and why this is important for Irma is there are plenty of people that will need gas in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. If people panic buy thinking there is a shortage it can actually tighten supply for the people that need it. Especially if delivery is impacted by power loss or roads are impassable after the storm. 

8 minutes ago, bigjohndc said:

Some of that was true over the weekend not now, but the post you quoted was from August 31st its September 7th. Just so you know Randolph County is reporting no public or public safety shortages.

The frustration and why this is important for Irma is there are plenty of people that will need gas in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. If people panic buy thinking there is a shortage it can actually tighten supply for the people that need it. Especially if delivery is impacted by power loss or roads are impassable after the storm. 

Awesome news. Never check a public reporting of shortages, never occured to look for one. Just going by the yellow bags on the pumps. Maybe it's just a hiccup from what happened this weekend. 

Archived