Newest Member
    Dano62
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, NC_hailstorm said:

And the Euro goes with the UKIE again,shocking.

Euro/UKIE/NAM look real close at day 3 with the GFS getting there as usual.

Yep I want be betting against them thats for sure. Wash Rinse repeat. Be interested in watching Jose now and all the sufferage on TV news unfortunately for Florida folks.

8 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Yep I want be betting against them thats for sure. Wash Rinse repeat. Be interested in watching Jose now and all the sufferage on TV news unfortunately for Florida folks.

According to the main thread, looks like the 12z shifted a little north and tracks more or less between the GFS/ECMWF. 

2 hours ago, Ser Pounce said:

What are your thoughts on Atlanta in general with regard to Irma?

Just too soon to say right now other than to say expect some rain and breezy conditions. If the gfs and similar tracks to that panned out, tropical storm force gusts up to 50 to 60mph  could certainly be expected. If it goes any further east though, not much more than your typical more windy than normal post cold frontal day in winter. Assuming a Ga landfall and it moving further west toward atlanta, obviously that puts atlanta into hurricane force gusts. 

I was going to say if the 12z euro panned out, winds wouldn't be so much of an issue vs having a lot of rain due to it spending so much time over land but it obviously has other ideas. Needless to say, it's wind forecast is pretty bullish. 

1 hour ago, jburns said:

A short interruption from our regularly scheduled program.

I just want to thank you all for keeping this thread on topic with a minimum amount of drama and without the need for a mod to be looking over your shoulders. Since I've been spending a vast percentage of my time in the main thread, where none of the above is taking place, I wanted to make sure you all know how much I, and I'm sure our other mods, appreciate both the amount of information and the tone of this thread. 

Carry on.

This X 1000.  Always been proud of the southeast crew for being able to behave and act mature adults and more so than every other region. It is very much appreciated by all of us. 

I hate to see this hit anybody but the selfish part of me is happy to see it trending away from me in SE NC. With that said, I fully expect the GFS and EURO to lose their minds and send it back this way before sending it away again just to mess with me. 

14 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

12Z Euro = A Lookout special! Some 80 mph gusts!? 

lol..that's a north georgia and upstate sc special all the way around. I'm honestly a bit surprised it's that high given how long it has it staying over land. Maybe some of it is partially because of the squeeze play between the low and the mountains? 

Just now, Lookout said:

lol..that's a north georgia and upstate sc special all the way around. I'm honestly a bit surprised it's that high given how long it has it staying over land. Maybe some of it is partially because of the squeeze play between the low and the mountains? 

And maybe the gradient between the super strong high to the North!?

1 minute ago, Lookout said:

I don't know, the winds are tearing through south Central GA too on the 12z Euro.  Just a crazy run for sure.

39 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

On the Euro do the remnants kind of just meander around the TN area for a day or two?

It does look look like that in Central TN or Southern KY general area. Then fizzles out there.

Its amazing to see the difference on the Euro Vs the GFS on the latest runs. Euro just pounds Ft Myers and Naples area. Then blast its way through central FL to off the coast near Jax

14 minutes ago, Avdave said:

It does look look like that in Central TN or Southern KY general area. Then fizzles out there.

Its amazing to see the difference on the Euro Vs the GFS on the latest runs. Euro just pounds Ft Myers and Naples area. Then blast its way through central FL to off the coast near Jax

That area(Cent.Tenn/Ky) just received 6-10+ inches rain from Harvey.

6 minutes ago, jpbart said:

GA, mandatory evac. all counties East of I-95, SC evac. is voluntary now, likely mandatory 10AM Saturday for coastal counties.  Colleges on the coast closing now, asking students to go home.

If the Euro holds true, anyone on the coast of SC/GA needs to stay put. They are safer than going inland. Do these people not watch models? 

25 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

And maybe the gradient between the super strong high to the North!?

lol..yeah.  i meant to add that but what's funny is The high isn't terribly strong to say the least.....only 1025 to 1028mb depending on which model you look at by the time it gets to ga ....but obviously it doesn't have to be considering how low the min pressure is with irma so the gradient would in fact be intense.

This is truly a special and unique event to see in our life times though because i doubt you will find many cases where even a weak tropical system moves in this fashion with a high in damming position. Going to be absolutely fascinating to see how it plays out for Ga, Sc, and the mountains. 

23 minutes ago, WXinCanton said:

I don't know, the winds are tearing through south Central GA too on the 12z Euro.  Just a crazy run for sure.

That's not surprising since they are a lot closer to landfall but one would think by the time it got here it would be weaker.  Now mind you florida is flatter and having water on both sides  would help preserve the cane more so than hitting anywhere else but if you look you will notice that there is even an increase in 10 meter gusts in south ga vs north florida. For comparison it is like a cane making landfall in LA and hurricane force wind gusts making it all the way to southern IL or central MO or something. Crazy indeed. 

10 minutes ago, jpbart said:

GA, mandatory evac. all counties East of I-95, SC evac. is voluntary now, likely mandatory 10AM Saturday for coastal counties.  Colleges on the coast closing now, asking students to go home.

here is a link to all counties in GA with mandatory evacuations...can you imagine I-95 right now.

https://gov.georgia.gov/sites/gov.georgia.gov/files/related_files/press_release/Mandatory Evacuation Zones - Irma.jpg

6 minutes ago, FLO said:

If the Euro holds true, anyone on the coast of SC/GA needs to stay put. They are safer than going inland. Do these people not watch models? 

I'd like to think that reasons like uncertainty in modeling or focusing on the cone, not the line are why SC held off on announcing mandatory evacuations. In reality... who knows.

Archived