Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Sorry for the OT post, but curious why we havent heard from Matthew East on this?  Come to think of it I havent seen his posts in a long while.  Did I miss something or does he usually just hang around in winter?

He hasn't been on here, but he posts videos to his facebook everyday making comments about what's going on.

5 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

I know you asked him but ATL stays on the "good" side of Irma.  I personally just don't see much more than a couple inches of rain with winds around 35mph for the metro.  Imo ATL gets their tropical hits from GOM storms barreling north out of the gulf.  Ie Opal. 

Gotcha, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I told the other half to start looking into hotels that would accept a cat there and in Birmingham. We can cancel if things end up looking fine but with that animal on our hands she'd better get started now.

There's also the leave the cat option but it's better to work too many angles on this problem than not enough.

1 minute ago, StormyClearweather said:

GEFS mean is a little west of the OP and the 6z, but overall not much change. 13 of 20 make landfall over South Florida. 

It does looks like bulk of members take it up through Florida then off into the atlantic with a 2nd landfall in GA/SC.  Matches up really well with the EPS consensus.

1 hour ago, griteater said:

Here's the thing, the actual Irma track (red X's) has been verifying to the south of the GFS forecasted positions (AVN in image below).  Same for HWRF.  Euro has been more accurate.  That gives credence to the 12z westward adjustment on the GFS with a track closer to the FL east coast.  Savannah to Charleston in the cross hairs at the moment.  

j4RVjhN.png

qIlCZwt.png

MZQfOIq.png

I wonder what it is about the GFS/HWRF that it wants to send it north so quickly.  0z run HWRF wasn't even close to actual position.  

Euro looks locked in.

hwrf_mslp_wind_11L_7.png

A short interruption from our regularly scheduled program.

I just want to thank you all for keeping this thread on topic with a minimum amount of drama and without the need for a mod to be looking over your shoulders. Since I've been spending a vast percentage of my time in the main thread, where none of the above is taking place, I wanted to make sure you all know how much I, and I'm sure our other mods, appreciate both the amount of information and the tone of this thread. 

Carry on.

1 hour ago, Solak said:

If you're thinking about doing your prep work even far away from the current projected path, you might want to start now. Stores here in the Clayton/Smithfield area are already out of bread and water.

WRAL did say we could see a half inch to an inch of rain from Irma. Not alarming, but most NCarolinians do rush for necessities when severe weather is a possibility. A brief snow flurry is all it takes.

6 minutes ago, avalanche said:

WRAL did say we could see a half inch to an inch of rain from Irma. Not alarming, but most NCarolinians do rush for necessities when severe weather is a possibility. A brief snow flurry is all it takes.

Big difference between flurry and hurricane....WRAL is also forecasting impacts on the current modeling, the reason the stores are seeing runs on supplies is many people in NC have seen these forecast before, we are a hurricane savvy crowd and we know how these things like to tease GA but end up in our neck of the woods. Better to be safe than sorry especially since the models probably wont shift much until the storm is off Florida and making its north turn...

One thing to look for as Irma pulls away from Florida is the likelihood of dry air getting entrained into the system with the system becoming asymmetrical with the precipitation to the north side of the storm and the southern eyewall opened up.

How rapidly will the dry air weaken the storm?

It will be interesting to see the changes evolve as the storm leaves Florida.   

As always, follow the advice of the NHC and your local NWS Forecasting Office for local action statements.

Archived