Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

I say when push comes to shove, Irma will move over Eastern NC probably east of Raleigh!!! 

That's what worries me. I said it several pages back. I've seen this dog and pony show before. Considering I'm 30 miles north of Wilmington and 25 miles NE of topsail beach, I don't even want to let myself go there. After the run from '96-'01 and several since, along with Matthew last year, I can't let myself go there yet.

1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

Nah.  Ridge building in.  Probably end up farther west.

When does the ridge build in? That's the key question. Ridge was supposed to build with Matthew and didn't. Remember them talking about ridges with Fran, Bonnie, and Floyd. For once, I want a ridge to build that helps us here. Hopefully this time it does and you are right. If you are, beers on me!!

4 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Even tighter cluster over the upstate! Where is Shetley!  We need his expertise! We could be without power for many days, IF that pass happened

The spread looks less on 00z -- Less of a NW turn too. They will continue to flip flop, though.

48 minutes ago, NC_hailstorm said:

Hugo was moving NW at 35-40 mph,big wind maker.

Thought it was more like 20-25 mph.. traveled from Charleston to Hickory (around 250 miles) in 9 hours.  Definitely increasing in speed.  Irma will be slower as it gets blocked by the ridge before getting quickly dragged east.

1 minute ago, ThePhotoGuy said:

We were planning our vacation to the Outer Banks (Nags Head), NC on Saturday. We haven't decided if we are going to make the trip down due to the storm. Any thoughts based on the potential track on what it would be like? Based on what I have seen maybe some rain and some wind but nothing to significant?

Strong wind and a few tornadoes. Sounds like fun times.

3 minutes ago, ThePhotoGuy said:

We were planning our vacation to the Outer Banks (Nags Head), NC on Saturday. We haven't decided if we are going to make the trip down due to the storm. Any thoughts based on the potential track on what it would be like? Based on what I have seen maybe some rain and some wind but nothing to significant?

I hope for your sake you wait. If it does move north like the majority do and hits, let's say topsail beach, your "some rain" and "some wind" will turn into a nightmare you don't want to be a part of.

5 minutes ago, ThePhotoGuy said:

Pack a umbrella and life insurance policy/will! 

27 minutes ago, ThePhotoGuy said:

Honestly, you'll probably be fine. Just obviously keep an eye on the track in the next few days 

If it tracks the way it's currently forecast, you'll just get some rain and wind like you said. If the track starts to bend NE in the next day or so, then watch out.

1 hour ago, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

Due to this high, can we be reasonably certain that any trend NE would be limited? I'm asking because it seems like so many of these storms end up trending further to the East at the last minute. It's also why NC has been hit so many times in recent history as opposed to SC/GA.

Is the OTS scenario a pipe dream at this point?

Well usually the right of track bias we see with north moving TC off the SE coast is because of the normal westerlies...almost all the storms that I can remember coming up the SE coast tended to be right of track due to that...this looks to be a exception once the NE high comes into play....I would not be surprised to see Irma moving N or even NNE for a time as she comes up the coast...the models even hint at it....so depending on how/when that high moves in and out for that matter will be what gets her going more NW....if the high is weaker or faster then she will go further north and stay mostly NNW or N after landfall, if its stronger slower etc she will get pushed NW well well inland and stall a bit...the models have been kinda all over with it, but they all have the high and chances of a escape completely OTS is probably fairly slim. 

Archived