• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

this is an awful run in terms of potential damage. Destroys south/southeast florida then rakes the entire coast before making landfall near savannah. A track that maybe could produce the most widespread damage as it never interacts with land enough to weaken a lot. 

Looks like it's a bit further west than the 06z run after landfall thanks in part to it not being as amplified with the trough in the great lakes/plains and it turns nnw up the savannah river. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, yotaman said:

Got a question concerning pressure. Irma now has 180 mph winds with a pressure of 927mb, why is the pressure so high? Wilma to compare had winds of 185 mph with a pressure of 882. Gilbert also had 185 mph winds with a pressure of 888 mb.

Sam Lillo has an awesome chart showing the pressure/wind variance with storms

DsHGDNR.png

Got a question concerning pressure. Irma now has 180 mph winds with a pressure of 927mb, why is the pressure so high? Wilma to compare had winds of 185 mph with a pressure of 882. Gilbert also had 185 mph winds with a pressure of 888 mb.

Irma is relatively small and therfore while winds are distributed over a smaller area, the winds are also stronger. Think of this. If you have ever been between two buildings during a windy day and suddenly the wind speed dramatically increases, you understand the concept. The thing about wind is that it is the difference between pressures and the atmospheres way of equaling them out. When wind is felt, it's air molecules moving from higher pressure areas to lower pressure areas. If the trip is smaller, all the energy is focused into a smaller area (like between the buildings) and therefore the winds are higher.

Hello everyone, hope I am welcome here. If not, please let me know and I'll go. 

We are stationed in Tampa. Very worried what Irma will do. Husband on standby to head overseas due to hurricane, leaving me and dog alone. 

Im hoping someone can give me some ballpark info. I'm in contact with my neighbors and we are all waiting for info from military, which never seems to come. All questions seem to be met with a shrug of the shoulders. 

Thank you for any info you can provide. It will really be helpful :) 

Obviously a horrible run, but the good-ish news is that the average 120hr forecast is 200 miles of track error. The really good news is that people have plenty of time to prepare and, if necessary, get out of the way.

On another note, Recon just found SFMR estimated surface wind speed of 160kt and pressure down to 923. Earlier it looked like the cloud tops were warming, but they now look to be cooling again.

1 minute ago, downeastnc said:

yeah I was honestly expecting more north and east cause of that but it didnt happen, wonder if the GEFS are gonne be east with the mean again...

Yep, I thought it would have been east of 6z but still modeling a stout 591 ridge over Bermuda.  That NE ull digging a little further SW just shoves ridge a hair east.

gfs_z500aNorm_atl_19.png

23 minutes ago, Bunny said:

Hello everyone, hope I am welcome here. If not, please let me know and I'll go. 

We are stationed in Tampa. Very worried what Irma will do. Husband on standby to head overseas due to hurricane, leaving me and dog alone. 

Im hoping someone can give me some ballpark info. I'm in contact with my neighbors and we are all waiting for info from military, which never seems to come. All questions seem to be met with a shrug of the shoulders. 

Thank you for any info you can provide. It will really be helpful :) 

You're certainly welcome here but not sure how much help we can be. Things can change quickly as to track of the storm and strength in a given area.  Your best bet is to go to the internet sites for Tampa and look up emergency services and preparedness. There are zoned surge maps. Look and see what zone your location is in and follow the advice given.  Good luck.

Was hoping to see a better trend today but so far, that hasn't happened yet. The moves east, even slightly, are not good to see. It appears the storm has started moving N or W now which is believe is earlier then expected. Lot of time to go so we just wait and see.

Archived